A not so rough and rowdy space western...
by, 23-09-2010 at 07:51 PM (3289 Views)
Well I started reminiscing about old animated TV shows I liked when I was a kid. Yes I know reminiscing is for old people blah blah, but I couldn't help myself.
I got lost in thought about a show I got from a friend and couldn't help but watch all 3 seasons of it. It was just as good as I remember it to be, yes it was. Sounds strange that a show that's almost 3 decades old could be considered good, but I loved it... again.
The setting is space, you are a Marshall you have a trusty mechanical steed and fight many bandits and baddies... At the end of each show they also have a moral of the story bit, some of you remember, when shows actually had morals and values! Ringing any bells?
I am talking about Bravestarr of course!
So why would I be thinking about this old show now? Well let's see, I think this could actually make a very decent game today. Think about it...
Lets take Marshall Bravestarr first.
- Old fashioned hero
- He is a US Marshall... SPACE
- He lives on a planet called New Texas
- He is a Native American (Only been done in 1 game, PREY, it was good)
- He has the Speed of a Puma - For super fast and super charged attacks.
- He has the Strength of a Bear - For beating the snot out of your enemies.
- He has the Eye of a Hawk - For seeing enemies before they can see you.
- He has the Ears of a Wolf - For hearing dames in distress from far away.
Now let's take 3030 (Thirty-Thirty)... The horse if you don't know.
- He talks!
- Did I mention he talks!
- He transforms from a steed to a walking, ass kicking horse.
- He is Super Strong.
- He has a Super Big gun... It's called Sara Jane!
- He's a talking horse! That kicks ass! What more do you want?
But how will this all fit into a game? Well there are many options.
First up just, straight up shooter game, but that'll be too boring for what I have in mind.
Second we could make it an RPG style game, but I don't want just another copy of what has been done.
Let's combine the 2 genres into one and also add some elements from Deus Ex, the original, good RPG elements, with excellent interactivity.
Add the switching interface from Crysis for your abilities, but add a cool down period, so powers aren't available all the time.
You have an entire planet to explore, they should have oodles of quests for you to do and of course good weapons and armour upgrades as well.
But what will you fight?
On the left is Stampede, decidedly big and boss-like, well because he's the big bad boss in Bravestarr and to the right is Tex-Hex, Bravestarr's arch nemesis.
The world is littered with all manner of evil creatures and beings so there won't be a lack of stuff to kill.
There are a lot of possibilities. But those are my thoughts on a classic animated show from my childhood...
I wonder what is next, Thundercats, Galaxy Rangers, or maybe something totally different?
Have your say below...