Twitter    Facebook    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Free Email Newsletter:

Register at My Gaming Forum

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Which company is the only copper fixed-line ADSL provider in SA?

Thread: Blocking EA Orgin from searching folders on your computer.

MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Lightbulb Blocking EA Orgin from searching folders on your computer.

L
    imit Origin and other programs from accessing various things:

It turns out that there's a free version of Sandboxie that supports both 64bit and 32bit Windows. My biggest gripe was with Origin scanning the ProgramData folder however after more testing, its access can indeed be blocked by Sandboxie.

Here are the basic steps to limit Origin's access:

-Download and install the free version of Sandboxie and then run it
    -Create a new sandbox called Origin

-Open command prompt and type "cd C:\ProgramData"
    -Then type "dir /d"
    -Copy the list of directories to an empty Notepad document and remove the Origin entry in the pasted text

-Use Edit / Replace to get rid of all "]" characters
    -Use Edit / Replace to replace all "[" characters with "ClosedFilePath=C:\ProgramData\"
    -Add "OpenPipePath=C:\" at the top of the document for however many normal hard drives/partitions you have on the PC (D,E,F,etc). You shouldn't need to worry as the only major thing Origin appears to access outside of EA/Origin/System related stuff is the ProgramData folder

-Copy all the text in notepad and get back to Sandboxie
    -Go to Configure / Edit configuration
    -While editing the opened ini file go to the very bottom of the Origin entry and paste the text underneath
    -Save and close the file, Sandboxie should automatically put up a message about updating its settings

-If need be you can check the Sandbox settings in Sandboxie itself to make sure everything has been set correctly
    -Run Origin through the sandbox that you created. Provided that you removed the Origin folder entry before it should execute and login just fine

There you have it; testing showed that Origin's behaviour remained the same in such an environment with the exception that it couldn't access the folders in ProgramData except its own folder.

Sandboxie can also be used for things like Punkbuster, though you should check the following page to avoid conflicts:
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?K...cts#punkbuster

I can't 100% garuantee this, but it does appear that after taking these steps that Origin will not access much outside system/origin/ea stuff and so your other stuff should be private. You might need to tweak the sandbox settings a bit however if you install additional programs that use ProgramData to stop Origin from accessing them.

Remember that Origin isn't the only suspect software you may have; you can use Sandbox and ProcessMonitor for other suspect programs as well.

Unless Origin gets an update that makes it more invasive I'll be willing to use Origin outside of tests at the moment, now we just have to hope that BF3 and other Origin games don't suck

I edited this information from this link: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/96086...0145714?page=1

MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Great post !
    Im one of the "wise" people who pre ordered through Origin before their natzi EULA came out.
    Im going to install standboxie the moment I get home.

MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

It was actually the 'privacy' agreement, emphasis on 'you have none' but they've actually changed most of the offence terms and now it does more or less what Steam does which is collect aggregate info about it's users. So if you are that concerned about Origin then I guess you better block Steam as well.

MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Great, thanks, much appreciated

MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by MOnk View Post
    It was actually the 'privacy' agreement, emphasis on 'you have none' but they've actually changed most of the offence terms and now it does more or less what Steam does which is collect aggregate info about it's users. So if you are that concerned about Origin then I guess you better block Steam as well.
    Yes and no. They edited the text to be lighter and more user friendly. But still not happy with it. Not having a option to opt out of the search is stupid ( unlike steam,where you can opt out if you want to!)

The fact that orgin is very new and hasnt really be using it full power as application,Ea most likey step up on the search of your computer at a later date (Beacuse you signed agreement that they can very easily). Today its your programs folder tomorrow its your c drive.

MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Or you could just set up a 2nd restricted windows account & use security permissions to keep it out of your files. Much cleaner way to achieve the same thing. Also pretty sure you'll take a significant perf hit when using a sandbox.