A sort of simple guide to Anime DVD/BD video conversion.

Not really a “gaming” guide, and I don’t have much advice to give with hardware and gaming, since I am doing a BA in Enviro-sciences. Here we go!

Step 1.
Open Handbrake
Drag and drop the the VIDEO_VTS folder into handbrake
Click “High Profile” on the left
From the drop down box choose that says “Container” choose MKV

Now, where is says title select the one with the longest time, (1:44:37) next to that it should say Chapters, leave it at that and look next to it. It will have two drop down boxes 1 through 17 with the time (duration) to the left of that.

Select 1 then on the other drop box select another chapter, here is the hard part, if it is a film select the last chapter, if it is a series (in my case Samurai Champloo) keep going through chapters till the duration is about 23 mins. (it sometimes is more so you'll have to experiment)

Step 2.
Click the “Picture” tab
This is where you select the output size of your video.
Go to the “Anamorphic” drop down box and choose “custom”.
Now the hard part, where it says “display width” you need to find out the aspect ratio of the DVD you are using. It's one of two. 4:3 or 16:9

4:3 is mostly PAL which is a box shape.
16:9 is mostly NTSC which is wide screen

Now where it says “Display Width” you need to make it 640 if the video is 4:3 and 704 or 848 if it is 16:9.

Step 3.
Video Filters
Set Detelecine and De-interlace to default .
This just takes those horrible scan lines out of the video, it's not a 100% improvement in heavy action and movement sequences it can still be seen on the edge of objects but it is not noticeable.

Step 4.
Video
Video Codec: I always leave it at H.264 MKV is a very good media format capable of multiple audio tracks and subtitle tracks as well as chapter markers.

Frame Rate (FPS): I leave it at variable, setting a solid frame rate is just as good, but when you have motion sequences that pan past a static object you'll occasionally have a bit of lag. This is specially true in anime since 90% of it was done on progressive scan.

Quality.
Here you have 2 choices. Constant Quality or Average Bit Rate (kbps) I always use constant quality it gives the best results, only problem is the output sizes vary from file to file, depending on the source.
DVD's you can make between 20 and 18 (I like it keep it at 20) any lower and you'll have a large file with the same video quality as the DVD source. Any Higher and you'll have a lower quality video.

Audio.
Here you can select a audio track, if it has more than one click “add track” then in the source box click on the source, then select the audio track you want from the combo box. You can have multiple audio tracks, I usually have 2 English and Japanese.
Audio Codec: here you can select what audio codec you want to be used when you compress the audio, youi can choose, AAC, AC3, MP3, DTS and PASSTHRU, PASSTHRU basically means it will be uncompressed so the audio from the DVD will be transferred over without compression. I mostly make use of AAC (faac), since I use a set of headphones.
MixDown: Do you want mono, stereo or Dolby Surround?
Sample Rate: I always leave at auto.
Bitrate: The Bitrate at which the audio will be compressed. From 32Kb/s to 320Kb/s 160Kb/s is usually a good vale sometimes you might be able to go a bit lower 112Kb/s
DRC & Gain: Those are of very little importance unless you into audio engineering or you have ears like a cat.

Step 5.
Subtitles: Would you like your anime with subs? Click foreign Audio search and click “1 English” then click “Add”. Done you're video will have subs. Note: the subs added will not be fancy like a fan-sub but they are very readable.

Step 6.
Chapters: If you are lucky enough to have a DVD with chapter markers on the inside of the cover (I recall Akira has one) you can simply fill them in there. Click Create Chapter Marker, then write them in. If you don't want chapter markers then untick the box.

Step 7:
Advanced: thats what It is, I will leave this one out because I could type out pages on how everything works.

Step 8:
All thats left to do is, click browse and select a destination for your file to be saved to. Then click “start” and you'll video will be encoded. The speed of the encode is dependent on the CPU you have a Quad+ you'll see a big difference in speed.

All done! I hope you found this simple tutorial help