Twitter    Facebook    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Free Email Newsletter:

Register at My Gaming Forum

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Which company is the only copper fixed-line ADSL provider in SA?

Thread: ADSL Line Signal Strength & Stability

MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Default ADSL Line Signal Strength & Stability

Hi Guys,
    for those of you who are not aware, the signal strength of your ADSL line has got a big influence on your connection stability. The weaker the signal (usually the further away you are from the exchange, max 3km but not limited to distance only) the slower your line speed must be to get a stable connection. (Noise on the line might also have an effect, the more noise the slower your connection must be to stabilize) If you are on the edge of minimum signal strength (normally viewable on your modem's connection status) you'll get constant disconnects when running at 4meg+ speeds. I've seen this time and again when upgrading clients's ADSL lines to higher speeds. At my previous office we could only run at 6meg on the supposedly 10meg line speed. The moment Telkom tuned up the line speed above that we would lose our internet connection. It might connect once every now and then for a few seconds.

I now have this problem at my house and I was hoping for a solution of some type of signal repeater/booster that one could plug your ADSL line into to get a stable connection instead of tuning down the speed to 2/3meg from 4meg.

Does any one know if there is a type of solution for this?

MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Same boat mate. I got told: 10mb no issue. Moved in: 1mb max.

Telkom oke told me that the only way to fix it is to move closer to exchange...

MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Uberutang View Post
    Telkom oke told me that the only way to fix it is to move closer to exchange...
    I was told the same thing. Is there absolutely no other way to get around this?

Blog Entries
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

I am just down the road from my exchange, but have been experiencing regular disconnects, some nights more bad than others.
    I wonder if this is just down to inadequate Telkom infrastructure and burgeoning demand for bandwidth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sheldon Cooper
    Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic.
    -=Now with Android 'phone=-

MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

I am 8+ km from the exchange and my max sync rate was 2mb (on 4mb) with hourly disconnects. I got hold of one of the most competent helpfull employees of Telkom to help sort out my problem. He even got technicians out to change the copper wires at my place. Even if there was no progress he would call me on a daily basis.

Unfortunately I'm stuck on a bad 1mb line and moving is the only option, albeit possibly to a congested exchange

MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Not sure how far I am from the exchange but my attenuation is at 62dB. Depressing that nothing can be done.

MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

In my experience, Telkom branded routers usually work better.
    Had a Trendnet TEW-635BRM bought from Makro and it dropped the line like crazy...
    Then went to a Telkom direct store, bought a Netgear DGN2200 and viola! problem solved!

MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Gimaru View Post
    Not sure how far I am from the exchange but my attenuation is at 62dB. Depressing that nothing can be done.
    WOW 62dB is bad, Telkom considers anything above 55dB "to be of concern (bad)" I'm sure you can escalate that figure to Telkom and see if they can't improve it. Could be as stated above your distance to the exchange but if it is just crappy copper wiring then they might be able to do something about it.

MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

SNR Margin (dB): 126 128
    Attenuation (dB): 265 129
    Attainable Rate (Kbps): 18296 1200
    Rate (Kbps): 10014 1019

These are my stats, my ISP is axxess with 4mb uncapped and I have absolutely no problem at all, never disconnects and play Battlefield 3 online all the time...
    I get full speed most of the time aswell...

Im not really sure why but apperently according to my SNR and attenuation it should be pathetic...but its not.

Have you tried various accounts on the line?
    Last edited by Fife; 23-05-2012 at 12:47 PM.