Any wargamers here? I have no idea myself, but who knows! This may interest someone!
The 6th edition of the 40k wargame (where it all started for 40k) is here! - well, to be specific its releasing this coming Saturday :P
The largest rulebook yet, standing at 452 pages and completely full colour, diorama foldouts included. To give you an idea of scale...
A lot of neat bits inside
Two videos (well, the only two worth showing) regarding the new release:
No idea why Games Workshop makes such cheesy and low budget adverts, but it gets the point across :P
New rules for new flier unit types (which we saw coming, we've been getting "flier" units for a while now), a notable extension on Psyker rules and abilities, the ability to include small detachments from other factions, as well as a massive dose of variable gameplay.
And, yes, the normal whirlwind of popped-safety-bubble angst and rage that any new edition for anything incurs :P
Big rule changes include:
- Random charges - charge distance is 2D6
- Global cover saves reduced to 5+
- Wound allocation is closest to farthest
- HQ units can now challenge and duel each other.
- Rapid Fire can now be used at full range.
- Close combat weapons now have their own AP values. Power weapons are ap3, rather than weapons that automatically deny armour. Only specific weapons can bypass 2+ armour saves.
- Vehicles have "Hull points"
- Preferred Enemy works in shooting as well
- Rage changed to Berserk - grants +2 attacks on the charge
- Monstrous Creatures can half their amount of attacks to double their strength.
- Flying Monstrous Creatures can fly over units, and deal damage to them in that movement.
- Can purchase terrain in the set-up phase, each terrain has different effects.
- 5 "generic" psyker disciplines within the rulebook, which each race has access to a different combination of them (some none!). Have a choice between them and the "codex" abilities.
- Overwatch - can fire on an enemy when they assault you, but you only hit on 6's -flamers get D3 hits instead.
- Grenades can be thrown in the shooting phase.
- Fliers! (So many rules!) Many current units have been updated to be fliers.
- HQ with highest leadership is the Warlord, who randomly generates a unique ability (of a discipline of your choice) for the game.
- All mission types have secondary objectives, such as assassination, first blood, etc
- The ability to include a detachment from another army into yours. Unclear as to exactly how this works.
Anyway, fliers? Let's quickly go over them:
- Always start the game in reserve. Come in on a 3+ from turn 2 onward
- Must move at least 18", can only make a single pivot before they move
- May move up to 36"
- Can either choose to fly high, in which case they can't be assaulted, get a cover save, and are only hit by ranged fire on 6's
- Can choose to fly low, dropping off passengers, but hit (and assaulted) as normal
- Fliers always hit other fliers on their normal ballistic skill
- Units with the Skyfire special rule always hit fliers at their normal ballistic skill
- Fliers can fly off the board and return to reserve
- If killed, they crash into the battlefield, potentially damaging units!
But, possibly just as important, the newer editions present one of those rare times when the fiction in its entirety is advanced. This alone will either please or anger many, many people. Nearly half (if not more) of the book is complete backstory and fiction.
Also, a WHOLE bunch of new art! Two of what we've seen so far:
Really, really excited by all this. It's going to be a considerable change to how the game is currently played, my current army will have to be completely redesigned most likely - but that's the beauty of change!
Looking forward to dissecting the rulebook piece by piece
Not playing? If you're interested, I'd rather recommend you wait until august for the new starter sets. Two armies for much cheaper than elsewhere, plus a mini pocket rulebook. It lacks the fluff and the optional expanded rules, but is generally the preferred rulebook due to its ease of transport and smaller size.