Dead Space facts you need to know
Find out what you need to know before taking on the Necromorphs again
With the arrival of Dead Space 3, it’s time to get to know the fright-filled galaxy, characters and interesting facts that surround the spine-chilling threequel.
So that you know your Dead space trivia when you cowering in fear while playing Dead Space 3, check out the following Dead Space facts:
- The name “Isaac Clarke” was chosen to pay homage to the highly-influential science fiction authors Isaac Asimov (I, Robot) and Arthur C. Clarke (2001: Space Odessey).
- When researching for the game, developers Visceral analysed photos and footage of car crash victims, to help create the dead bodies and necromorphs found throughout the game.
- Dead Space was initially meant to be an original Xbox title, before it went back into development for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.
- In Dead Space 1, at the main screen, if the player does not press anything, the song Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, sung in a startling tone, it will start playing showing most of Isaac’s death scenes.
- In Dead Space 1, there are more death scenes ending with Isaac’s decapitation than any other variation of death in the game.
- Danny Boyle’s 2007 sci-fi movie Sunshine was a huge influence on the game series. This can be seen in many parts of the game, such as the hydroponics area is in Ishimura, which is very similar to the existing park in the movie.
- Isaac speaks for the first time in Dead Space 2, unlike the first game.
- Isaac is voiced by Gunner Wright and is apparently based upon his likeness.
- In Dead Space 2, while Isaac is actually only 46 years old, he is biologically 44 or 45 due to the effects of stasis containment during his three years on the Sprawl.
- According to the scales, in the first Store you come across in Dead Space 2, Isaac weighs 195lbs (88kg) with his Patient Suit on (after being held captive). His weight then rises from 195 to 255 pounds (115kg) after wearing the CEC Engineering Suit.
- Isaac’s Helmet is one of the highlights for fans, and the revamped and more advanced helmet shown in the second game is composed of 40 different pieces.
- In Dead Sapce 2, at the top of many doors are several descriptions of the room ahead, such as temperature or pressure. Additionally there is sometimes a line of horizontal scrolling text. Below it are the letters “ERTS”, which is the abbreviation for “Electronic Arts” on the NASDAQ stock exchange. The scrolling text is a parody of the traditional horizontal scrolling of stock companies and their current prices. The numbers following “ERTS”, 85.56, represents the highest and most optimistic projected future stock price for Electronic Arts back in January 2005, during a massive 3-month advance where EA stock soared more than 50%.
DEAD SPACE 1 SPOILER WARNING!
- In Dead Space 1, when you take the first letter from each chapter they form the words “N.I.C.O.L.E. I.S. D.E.A.D.”
- At the end of each ‘word’ is a boss fight. The Leviathan at the E of Nicole, the Slug at the S of Is, and the Hive Mind at the D of Dead.
- Many of the main characters die in the chapters that make D.E.A.D., Hammond in Dead on Arrival, Challus Mercer in End of Days, Dr. Terrence Kyne in Alternate Solutions and Kendra in Dead Space.
Good. Now all you need is a steady aim, perfect vision in the dark and the ability to suppress your sobs, and you’re all ready for Dead Space 3.
Source(s): Dead Space Wiki, Technology Informants, USA today
More Dead Space 3 news
Shutterstock is the image partner of MyGaming – technology images can be found here