Destiny – all we know so far
We divulge all of Destiny’s details – guns, classes, species, PvP, and more
We have seen and heard a lot about Destiny in the past few weeks, including the recent release of new screenshots and videos showcasing Bungie’s upcoming title.
What gamers want to know, though, are the finer details of the game, when beta testing will start, and what they can expect from the title.
All of these questions, and more, are answered below.
Firstly, what is Destiny about?
Destiny is a first person shooter developed by Bungie – the team that brought you Halo. The game is set in a large, dynamic open-world whose ever changing landscapes are complemented by a robust character customisation system.
The events of the game are centred around an alien race that is threatening to destroy what is left of humanity, with you and your faction tasked with defending the human race and restoring peace to your planet.
Beta testing – when and where?
Bungie has confirmed that PS4 owners will get the beta version first, after which it will be made available to those using other consoles.
A date has not been set for the start of beta testing, but the studio has hinted at it happening around June or July.
To get your hands on the game early, look for retailers who are giving away beta codes to those who pre-order the game.
Okay, but what about the guns?
Destiny features the largest spread of weapons of any Bungie game, plus they will be customisable and can be looted.
You character will be able to carry 3 weapons at the same time – a primary, secondary, and a heavy weapon – all of which will be given a colour rating, according to rarity: white is basic, green is common, purple is superior, and gold is exotic.
Weapons will also have their own skill trees and you will be able to level them up.
Tell me about the factions
There are 5 different factions in Destiny:
- Dead Orbit;
- New Monarchy;
- Seven Seraphs.
And the player classes and species?
- Humans – Bungie has described the human species in Destiny as “relatable, tough, and uncomplicated”.
- Exo – A player species described by Bungie as “sinister, powerful, and tireless.”
- Awoken - “Exotic, beautiful, and mysterious,” according to Bungie.
- Hunter – “Hunters once prowled the wilderness and wastelands, taking big risks for even bigger rewards. You’re no outlaw—at least, not anymore—but making your own luck has always meant bending the rules.”
- Titan – “You hail from a long line of heroes, forged from strength and sacrifice. Our enemies may be deadly and merciless, but so are you.”
- Warlock – “Warlocks have long studied the Traveller, mastering some of its arcane energies. Its true purpose still remains a great mystery, but discovering truth has always driven you into the unknown.”
What about PvP?
Bungie has stated that in order to unlock multiplayer gameplay you will have to complete several campaign missions first. The character you play as in the campaign will be the one you use in multiplayer mode, so go out and find that golden gun first.
Are you looking forward to Destiny? Let us know in the comments and forum.
More gaming news
Shutterstock is the image partner of MyGaming – technology images can be found here