10,000RPM gaming-oriented HDD now in SA
Western Digital’s 1TB VelociRaptor hard drive hits hard at an RRP of R2,700
Distributor Drive Control Corporation (DCC) has announced that they are bringing into SA the Western Digital (WD) 1TB VelociRaptor, a performance oriented hard. The 1TB VelociRaptor is a 10,000 RPM, 2.5-inch, 6 Gb/s SATA hard drive. The drive carries a recommended retail price of R2,399.00.
According to DCC, the 1TB VelociRaptor is part of the WD gaming range, and is “the largest and fastest in the market,” claiming “durability under high-performance workloads” as a selling point.
Zandré Rudolph, Retail Business Unit Manager at DCC, said: “The local market is ready for this new performance drive that now delivers unprecedented capacity, providing gamers and power users with an additional boost. The combination of speed and performance delivers a new experience and features the solid brand reputation that WD is known for. Furthermore, this drive is allowing us as a distributor to meet the growing needs and expectations of serious gamers that require the ultimate in performance and capacity.”
The WD VelociRaptor 2.5-inch hard drive comes in the IcePack enclosure, a 3.5-inch mounting frame with built-in heat sink – a factory customisation that fits the drive into a standard 3.5-inch system bay and keeps the powerful drive extra cool when installed in a high-performance desktop or workstation system.
Features of the WD VelociRaptor hard drives include:
- SATA 6 Gb/s interface, 64 MB cache, 10,000 RPM
- Designed and manufactured to workstation standards to deliver reliability in high workload environments.
- Consumes less idle power and uses similar active power as the previous generation WD VelociRaptor
- Rotary Acceleration Feed Forward (RAFF) – Optimises operation and performance when the drives are used in vibration-prone, multi-drive chassis.
- NoTouch ramp load technology – The recording head never touches the disk media ensuring significantly less wear to the recording head and media as well as better drive protection when in transit.
- 1.4 million hours MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) – these drives have the highest available reliability rating on a high capacity SATA drive.
- 5 Year Warranty
- Environmentally conscious – In addition to being RoHS-compliant, this generation of WD VelociRaptor is also a halogen-free design.