Black Mesa free Half-Life 1 conversion mod released
Half-Life 1 lovers rejoice! The Black Mesa mod has finally arrived
Black Mesa, the long-awaited Half-Life 1 total conversion mod for Valve’s Source Engine, has been released. You can now head on over to the Black Mesa website and download the mod files from a mirror or via BitTorrent.
Black Mesa requires only a free installation of the Source SDK Base 2007.
The Black Mesa mod (originally Black Mesa: Source) is a community project started back in 2004 with the aim to recreate the original Half-Life using the advanced features of Valve’s Source Engine and modern high-resolution textures. The mod will be a free release, with the only requirement being that players own a Source Engine game on Steam.
The project makes use of the 2007 Orange Box version of the Source Engine, bringing advanced particle effects, facial animations, and multi-core rendering support. Black Mesa hasn’t merely recreated Half-Life 1, but has tweaked level designs where the team deemed necessary, meaning some segments are shorter, while others are scaled up.
The 14 September release is the first playable release from the project, allowing gamers to get up to the Lambda Core section of Half-Life 1.
More about the Black Mesa total-conversion mod
- Black Mesa requires only a free installation of the Source SDK Base 2007.
- 8-10 hours of single-player gameplay, up to the Lambda Core chapter.
- Feast your eyes on over 2,000 custom models and 5,000 custom textures – more than HL2.
- Experience over 2,000 choreographed scenes and over 6,500 lines of dialogue from all new voice acting.
- Immerse yourself in an all new soundtrack and over 2,300 custom sound effects.
- Feel the impact of custom systems such as the Face Creation System, Custom Gib System, Deathcam and more.
- Steam stat tracking along with Steam Achievements.
- Steam updates to address community feedback.
- Future additions of Xen and Black Mesa Death Match.
Have you played Black Mesa? Was it worth the wait? Let us know in the comments below and on the MyGaming forum.