rAge expo: more than just video games
Get your game on at rAge this weekend
In case you’ve only just arrived from outer space, this weekend is rAge weekend, and according to updates on my Twitter feed, gamers in Joburg are already lining up at the doors. That includes our very own Jeremy “DJ Jazzy Jezza” Proome, of course. He’s had all his shots, so go over and give him a kiss.
This year also marks ten years of rAgin’, so expect a big one for the birthday boy. Girl. Thing. The expo is happening from today until Sunday at the Coca-Cola Dome in Northgate, Joburg.
“Last year we saw an explosive growth of visitors, which grew by 29% from 2010. The expo thrives because of the passion and dedication of the video gaming community and its media, which will come through at the 2012 rAge once again as audiences experience a cultivated gaming culture,” says Michael James, Senior Project Manager on rAge.
Stuff to look out for this year:
- 50 Pokémon TCG players will be playing for the National Championship crown in the Senior, Masters and Junior divisions at rAge this year. Mandy Meredith Communications Manager Core Group says “If you’re new to Pokémon and want to learn how to play the game, you can! We will be hosting a series of ‘Learn to Play!Pokémon’ workshops over the course of the weekend, where two Pokémon Professors will be on hand to guide you through the game in a few simple steps – it’s that easy!
- Extreme Wargaming, a company that retails and runs weekly events for various games such as Magic the Gathering, Warhammer, Yu-Gi-Oh Dust and other board games, is one to look out for this year with new and exciting demos, fantastic gaming products and great discounts at rAge 2012. Casper Kleynhans explains “rAge is the perfect place to promote our company to a larger community of gamers due to its size and the environment created.”
- Sharing this vision is Skycastle Games, the largest distributor of hobby games in the country, who will not only be selling their games, but they will have a large demo area where you can try out many of the latest and most popular games available. “We believe there is a synergy between computer and board games. Over the past few years we have been warmly received by rAge attendees, so we love being there,” adds Vemeulen. Keep an eye out for the free Heroclix Avenger movie figures that they will be giving away as part of their Heroclix demos!
- With the widest range of board games and card games from the largest number of international game publishers and markets, rAge would not be complete without Wizards. This year Wizards is releasing the latest game from the Settlers of Catan family – Star Trek Catan, one of several new games at the Wizards’ board game demo area that you can learn to play. “rAge is THE place to be to introduce new products and meet new customers,” says Chris Legg, “Board games and card games are a growing feature of leisure markets internationally and we are looking forward to introducing our games to a wider audience by being at rAge this year. I am sure we will not be disappointed.”Boardgames will also be showing off their offering, giving visitors at rAge access to their hundreds of award-winning games that they have available. Visit their stand and be entertained for hours with a team that are just as crazy about board games as you are.
- Outer Limits is another show-stopper this year, showcasing their latest comics, graphic novels, role-playing games, T-shirts and Geek Toys. The team will also join Skycastle Games and Boardgames to run demos of the latest board games. Keep an eye out for the much anticipated sales of the latest Magic the Gathering cards, which releases internationally on 4 October.
- Blowfish Entertainment bring ‘Magic: The Gathering’ back to rAge this year with a demo stand as well as a tournament area. Treveshan Pather from Blowfish Entertainment says “Tournaments will be running throughout the expo with beginner mini-tournaments running every day. So if you don’t know how to play and are keen to learn make sure to sign up.”