Sony’s Playstation 4 console is due to hit South African shores on 6 December at a recommended price of R6,299. Ster-Kinekor has additionally confirmed that fifteen games will be available on launch in both disc and digital download format.
Responding to fans’ questions on Twitter about the Playstation 4, Sony’s Worldwide Entertainment Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida replied that one of the features of the PS4 is that you will be able to buy a game off the PSN Store on your phone or tablet. Once purchased, you have the option to wake up your PS4 and have it begin installing the game over the internet.
One feature of the PS4 that hasn’t been mentioned or detailed much is remote downloads, which was a touted feature for the Xbox One when the console required an always-on internet connection. Microsoft has since backtracked on a lot of their intial plans for the Xbox One and is reluctant to answer any questions about features they will bring back.
Another question posed to Yoshida was about Cross-platform chat. Yoshida responded, in his usual way, with a clear and direct “Yes” to the question. Cross-platform chat means that you can have friends playing on different consoles at the same time, all able to talk to each other using VOIP. The Xbox One does not currently support cross-platform chat.
As Yoshida responds more to queries on Twitter, a better idea of the PS4’s capabilities has been building up over the unofficial channel:
- Cross-platform chat between consoles and within games.
- Remote download feature using your smartphone/tablet and a connected, sleeping PS4.
- Support for the PS Move controller and all its peripherals and accessories.
- Disc-based versions of PS4 games won’t require the entire game to be installed on your hard drive.
- Remote play with the PS Vita locks the PS4 to just streaming that game.
- Its possible to play your own music stored on the PS4 while in-game.
- You will be able to turn off the PS4 using the PS Vita, as well as control some other features of the console.
- The speaker on the Dualshock 4 controller can be turned off.
- Pressing the Share button once quickly can take a picture as well as a short video clip of your gameplay.
- It will be up to game developers to decide if buying a PS4 version of a game will net you the same game on the Vita (Cross Buy).
- Trophies for PS4 games will still be unlocked if you’re streaming it to the Vita.