South African Black Ops 2 players now have their opportunity to shine on the world’s biggest gaming stage – the Call of Duty Black Ops 2 World Championship.
MWEB Gamezone, Megarom Interactive, and the Electronic Sports League (ESL) have worked together to provide SA gamers with the opportunity to attend the event.
With a US$1-million prize pot, this is a mammoth event on the scale of any global sporting franchise – all the more impressive as it’s built around a video game. Participation will inherently be a great honour and a chance for a South African gaming team to blaze a trail among international counterparts.
If you’ve got the chops, read on for the details.
MWEB GameZone Call of Duty Black Ops 2 Championship qualifier
The online qualifying matches will take place on Sunday 17 March 2013. These are 4-player team matches. MWEB admins will control and operate the tournament.
You can signup until 14:45 SAST of the day of the cup, the cup starts at 15:00 SAST. Each round takes approximately 90 minutes, so the 2nd round starts around 16:30 SAST, 3rd around 18:00 SAST and so on. If you receive a default win in the first round, please stay ready so you can start the 2nd round as soon as you get your next opponent.
MWEB GameZone will be hosting the matches from the M-Cave, their gaming operations centre, in order to remove host advantage.
Of crucial importance is the stipulation that participants have a passport valid for at least 6 months. Proof of this will be requested before the qualifying final commences and failure to produce proof means a disqualification for the entire team.
The qualifying team should know that they will have to obtain a US visa and incur the costs thereof.
The winning qualifier team will receive US$1,000 which should therefore cover any visa costs with change for celebrations.
All expenses will be paid to attend the championship event in Los Angeles, California.
MWEB GameZone will provide customised T-shirts for the SA team to present a united front.
17 March 2013
- Players are required to be 18 years, or older, at the time of qualification (17th of March 2013).
- Teams are restricted to 4 Players per team, there are NO substitutions
- Players who are in the final, need to submit a scanned copy of their passport to Gamesmaster@mweb.com prior to the final commencing. Failure to do this will result in the team being disqualified.
- Players must have a valid passport with at least 6 months before expiry (Sep 2013)
- Players must have at least 1 empty page in the passport.
- Team members must agree to travel to Los Angeles to attend the Call of Duty: Championship on the 5-7 April 2013, including any travel time.
- Players agree that they will assume responsibility for obtaining a US Visa, which is required for travel to the Call of Duty Championships. The costs of this visa will be borne by the player. Information for the US visa is here.
- Players must be resident in South Africa to participate.
By entering teams are agreeing to the following conditions:
Call of Duty Championship Rules: elite.callofduty.com.
Watch the qualifying matches live
We will be able to watch the qualifying matches as they take place at the following online locations: