You should join our great gaming community

Register now
You should subscribe to our free MyGaming newsletter

View RSS Feed

sycogrim

The Rise and possible fall of Blackberry

Rate this Entry
The Rise and fall of Blackberry
Now some might say I’m an iPhone fanboi, so what if I am. We look at RIM (Research In Motion) the Canadian company which started the first line of blackberry back in 1999. Ok so they have been successful to this point but where does one draw the line when it comes to letting your consumers suffer the most. In September 2011, they face the biggest drop in their stock pricing that hit hard, which put them way under their all time high of what was just over $30 a share, to now where it settles at $22.57 a share.

The company is going to fall hard if they do not live up to the expectations of the consumer. Why charge a consumer to use a service, with which we as iPhone and Android users can get for little to nothing these days and still save a small fortune in the long run. I really think that RIM is looking for another cow to milk with them planning on releasing Blackberry X (BBX), the new OS that is said to change the way users see Blackberry. Right so now that RIM has FINALLY, decided to join the bandwagon of supply and demand when it comes to Smartphone, what’s next?

They have a lot to compete with, and if us as iPhone and Android users have full accessibility to our phones, what do you have to put on the table that we don’t already have RIM? I think it’s about time you guys really reconsidered your business strategy and start kicking people out, especially your “Market Strategists”, selling $100 (R700 give or take) worth of Apps is not enough, you can’t buy peoples’ loyalty. Yes so your stocks are falling quickly and people are pissed at you, maybe you should expose the truth, it may hurt but sometimes the truth does hurt, however you can still make a comeback from being honest to your most valued consumers globally.

In my humble opinion I would say to deconstruct that entire service you call BIS/BES, it’s pointless and is only costing money when instead companies want to save. Just open the service up to the world and stop charging for it, you make enough sales as it is from just selling the phone. Stop being so hard on yourselves for not meeting a target with which I might as was something ridiculous of and stop being greedy. The collapse of your network was Karma for being so damn greedy.

Google (Android) leads the worlds cellular market followed with iPhone standing at 27% and RIM down to 21.5%. You guys were the leading the cellular market and look at what greed has done to you. Change your style and give the people what they want, not what you want. This is how Apple and Google succeeded, by adjusting their ideas and using what the consumers had to add.

Comments

BES is enterprise grade; it synchronises neatly with a corporate's main e-mail exchange and it's a single security management point for the IT division. Other smartphone platforms aren't nearly at that level yet and cause nightmares for the IT dept. who has to worry about security constantly. BES has that licked and it's why it does well in the enterprise market, and I believe will continue to do so. BlackBerry protect is also a great feature to lock down a lost smartphone - such as when the CEO leaves it in the bathroom at his favourite brothel.

You may have a point with BIS. Flat-rated internet is appealing to SA consumers, especially those in the mid-low end of the market who can get an affordable BB device and know their BIS costs up front. SA is currently one of the largest markets for RIM and BIS; that of course doesn't speak of their success in the developed markets. They might find themselves addressing the needs of emerging markets more, and those with expensive and complicated data plans (such as SA).

Personally, while I do find services such as BBM quite useful, and the push mail service to be one of the best; I'm continually leaning toward a more feature rich smartphone in future (Galaxy Nexus). However, I probably represent a high-end segment of the market that is willing to drop a lot of money on a smartphone and related data charges.

And I think that's also the point here; many people may have experienced a BlackBerry as their first smartphone. Now they are looking at what else is available since the BB OS is lacking in features, services and fun apps. Unless RIM's QNX OS does something amazing, they might see a mass migration from their high-end consumer level users.