You should join our great gaming community

Register now
You should subscribe to our free MyGaming newsletter

View RSS Feed

bradbear117

Playing through the bad times

Rate this Entry
I am someone who cannot have fun when there are certain issues in my life that need to be dealt with. I need to sort the problems out asap before i can go back to having good times.

Thankfully, for whatever reason my life has not had too many rough patches. I try and live as peacefully and mellow as possible and so far so good.

In the kak times that life serves up now and again I have continued to play a game or two here and there simply because its what I do. Its funny though because once my life is in the clear again I absolutely cannot go back to the specific game I was playing at the time. There are too many feelings and memories attached to the game. Very much the same way as certain songs bring back memories I suppose.

Two such games really stick out for me.....

Name:  moh.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  99.9 KB

#1 Medal of Honour Frontline:
I was playing this at a time when my then girlfriend decided to up and leave South Africa forever. The reasons for her leaving were numerous but most of all she felt she had little future here. So I was presented the choice of going with her and leaving my family and friends or staying here and losing her. Looking back it was actually a simple choice but back then I was in turmoil. Really felt like walking a tightrope. So while I was wrestling with the decision she had already acquired job offers and was leaving in 3 weeks. I was a bit messed inside to say the least. So that was it, I was staying and she was going. Drove her to the airport and said a crap long goodbye and drove home on my ace. When I got back after moping around the house I got bored and tried to play a bit of Frontline again. Once those chior boys started singing the intro theme I was tickets. Turned it off and went to the beach.

Name:  Singularity_cover.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  35.6 KB

#2 Singularity
This one was more recent. Last year in fact.
A few of my friends are into downhill skating. One night they invited me along to check it out as they were going to the meanest hill in East London. Its the access road to the IDZ. If you are from EL you should know it. Near the airport. So after they had a few runs I thought I could give it a shot. No protective gear and I'd never been on a downhill board in my life though I was familiar with skating back in the day. I had the fear in me the whole way down. Thats all I can say. I had THE fear.

Near the bottom of the hill I acquired the services of a speed wobble and came off at what felt like at least 50km/h. My one friend swears it could have been 60 when I passed him. I ate sh!t. badly. after my skidding and rolling stopped I stood bolt upright and then just crumpled again at the relief I could still sort of stand. Anyway to cut a long story short, I was off work for a month, once the shock wore off I found I couldn't actually walk. My left heel pad burst and right knee smashed and swollen so it couldn't be bent. I couldn't wear long sleeves as all the skin under my forearms was gone. It was also winter which sucked even more.

So while I heeled, my wife's one friend bought me Singularity, I was quite blown away by her kindness. I played it through while I heeled and enjoyed it but cant go back to it because of all of the above.

There are very few others but those are the ones with better back stories.

If you read all this, I thank you!

Brad

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

A gamer's diary... I love it

Holy crap, I always thought you were in high school or university. Now I read that you work and when I check your profile you're 31.

Mind = blown.

Anyway, I had a similar experience back when I was in high school. Instead of studying I was playing Perfect World International the day before an exam, because I thought the exam would be a cakewalk. Needless to say, I tanked the exam and had to beg and plead for a chance to rewrite. After that I simply couldn't play the game again because it made me feel like an arse. The game not being very good might have helped with that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Graal
    Holy crap, I always thought you were in high school or university. Now I read that you work and when I check your profile you're 31.

Mind = blown.

Anyway, I had a similar experience back when I was in high school. Instead of studying I was playing Perfect World International the day before an exam, because I thought the exam would be a cakewalk. Needless to say, I tanked the exam and had to beg and plead for a chance to rewrite. After that I simply couldn't play the game again because it made me feel like an arse. The game not being very good might have helped with that, though.
    haha awesome! Guess I come across as somewhat childish in the forums sometimes

Good to know I'm not alone in these strange feelings towards games though! Never actually shared these stories before.

I have to check Perfect World out now, never heard of it.