You should join our great gaming community

Register now
You should subscribe to our free MyGaming newsletter

View RSS Feed

Cicero

Quad-Rotor Helicopter Build Part 2

Rate this Entry
So after the last wooden frame took a hit, we decided to look at a carbon fibre frame. They're a little more expensive, but totally worth it.

This time there was no glue, no screws, no cutting. Just straight up bolt the thing together. Sturdy as a rock man!

Here's the assembled frame with the controller and motors. We hadnt connected the other electronics at this stage but it looks pretty mean so I took a pic.
Name:  fullcopter2.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  15.2 KB

The controller we are using is actually dirt cheap and very common, its a few hundred rand, kk2 motor. We will replace it with our own unit soon enough though, and add some extra functionality and sensors.
Name:  controllermotor.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  15.4 KB

Eventually all the electronics were assembled and we tried it out again....
Name:  closeupelectronics.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  20.1 KBName:  fullcopter.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  13.4 KB

It was pissing with rain outside so we couldn't give it a proper test, but while just doing prelim testing we burnt out an ESC for some strange reason putting an end to the testing...which was a huge downer. Sometimes it does feel like 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

Next step here is to buy a new ESC and test.

I'll take a vid of the first successful maiden flight on youtube and post the link. Just for kicks. Although I'm not strapping my gopro to it until its 100% stable

Attached Thumbnails Attached Images  
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Is there anywhere I can find a simple step-by-step guide for this build?

There probably is, I'll have a look and check if there's anything nice and useful. However, its pretty clear from our failures that we're not experts at this....lol. At least you could learn from our mistakes, haha

Quote Originally Posted by markface
    There probably is, I'll have a look and check if there's anything nice and useful. However, its pretty clear from our failures that we're not experts at this....lol. At least you could learn from our mistakes, haha
    I would love to give this or a similar project a shot Looks like fun.