Page 1 of 70 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Parental Corner

Default Parental Corner

Since a lot of forumites seem to have had, or are expecting kids lately, I though it would be nice to have a thread where we can chat about our kids, post baby photo's and ask for or give parenting advice without annoying all the non-parent types with talk of dirty nappies and loads of pics of babies.

Also, Roomys suggested it a while back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roomys_ZA View Post
    Shot bud, perhaps you should start a new thread in the how to section for us Fathers to be
    Here's my kiddie who is now 11 weeks old

Name:  2013_07_29_17_32_36.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  36.7 KB

HAHA Dude that is so cute, however i must say he / she reminds me of this guy!
    Name:  Teller.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  63.1 KB
    Shot for opening the thread cant wait to upload photo's of my new remote control car if its a boy or shotgun if its a girl.

WE find out this Friday!
    “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one.”
    ― C.S. Lewis

HAHA Dude that is so cute, however i must say he / she reminds me of this guy!
    Name:  Teller.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  63.1 KB
    Shot for opening the thread cant wait to upload photo's of my new remote control car if its a boy or shotgun if its a girl.

WE find out this Friday!
    LOL he does look a bit like that dude.

Are you hoping for a boy or girl in particular? You know what they say, if you have a boy, it's only one tottie that you have to worry about, if it's a girl, you have to worry about all of them.

hehe im hoping for a girl, that dude in the pic is Teller btw, from Penn and Teller.
    “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one.”
    ― C.S. Lewis

hehe im hoping for a girl, that dude in the pic is Teller btw, from Penn and Teller.
    Oh of course. For some reason I was thinking of another actor. Well, at least Teller is a talented dude to look like.

That pic was the first time we actually managed to catch him laughing on camera. Usually he looks all serious when he sees a phone or camera pointing at him.

I have been meaning to start this thread for a while, and what actually reminded me was that I commented on a thread in another forum where someone else announced his impending fatherhood, and here's the advice that I gave from my recent experience:

1. Enjoy your sleep (and sleeping in) while you can still get more than 3 or 4 hours of it in a row. You'll miss it later

2. Take your wife out to dinner or movies or whatever as often as you can, you won't get much time for that when the baby arrives.

3. Speaking of food, enjoy being able to eat a meal that is still hot, eating at your own pace, at the same time as your wife eats, and with two hands. You'll realize how nice all of those things actually are later.

4. Once the baby arrives, take every chance you can to help with him/her. Midnight bottles, burping, bath time, bed time, changing nappies, etc. It's a lot of work, but it's also a huge chance for bonding that a lot of dads who leave everything up to mom miss out on.

I usually make it home from work just in time for bath time, and then I get to do a post breastfeeding top-up bottle, and put him to bed. If not for that, I wouldn't really get a chance with him in the evening, and mornings are a huge rush.

@matt, great advice. I can strongly second the 'dads get involved'. It is hard work but hugely rewarding!

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Oh of course. For some reason I was thinking of another actor. Well, at least Teller is a talented dude to look like.

That pic was the first time we actually managed to catch him laughing on camera. Usually he looks all serious when he sees a phone or camera pointing at him.

I have been meaning to start this thread for a while, and what actually reminded me was that I commented on a thread in another forum where someone else announced his impending fatherhood, and here's the advice that I gave from my recent experience:

1. Enjoy your sleep (and sleeping in) while you can still get more than 3 or 4 hours of it in a row. You'll miss it later

2. Take your wife out to dinner or movies or whatever as often as you can, you won't get much time for that when the baby arrives.

3. Speaking of food, enjoy being able to eat a meal that is still hot, eating at your own pace, at the same time as your wife eats, and with two hands. You'll realize how nice all of those things actually are later.

4. Once the baby arrives, take every chance you can to help with him/her. Midnight bottles, burping, bath time, bed time, changing nappies, etc. It's a lot of work, but it's also a huge chance for bonding that a lot of dads who leave everything up to mom miss out on.

I usually make it home from work just in time for bath time, and then I get to do a post breastfeeding top-up bottle, and put him to bed. If not for that, I wouldn't really get a chance with him in the evening, and mornings are a huge rush.
    He speaks truth. Kid 44 is 7 years old now, in grade 1 and had her first uh... kunswedstryd (what is that in English?) today. Me and Mrs 44 have still not gotten back into our pre-baby routine. Hell, we haven't even unpacked all the stuff we packed in when we made the house baby proof 7 years ago.
    Once the baby comes, things change abruptly and permanently. But if you are mentally prepared, it is a truly magical time.
    One day, I'll grow up and become responsible.
    Probably not today.

Quote Originally Posted by Fivel View Post
    @matt, great advice. I can strongly second the 'dads get involved'. It is hard work but hugely rewarding!
    Also if you get a nice bond going, then you can also calm the child down almost as well as mom can because they love and trust you. I've seen guys who leave most of the baby stuff up to the wife suffer when they try to sooth their own child, and freak out because they had to look after the baby alone for an evening and the baby wouldn't stop crying.

Since babies don't come with instruction manuals