Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Need some advice on a new rig I need

Default HELP! Need some advice on a new rig I need

I am in the final stages to buy and put the following rig together. Any comments would be most welcome.

Rig I am looking at (almost finalised):

MB: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2 -> I start to favor the GA-X58A-UD5 rev 2
    CPU: i7 950
    GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 570 (Any preference or no-go zone for certain brands?)
    Memory: Corsair 6GB DDR3 SDRAM CMP6GX3M3A1600C7
    HDD: 2x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB S-ATA6G (plan to run RAID1)
    Case: CM HAF-X NV-942-KKN1 (HAF-X 942 - the nVidia edition)
    PSU: CM Silent*Pro*Gold*800W
    K/board: Logitech G110
    Corsair*CSSD-F120Gb2-BRKT - 2.5" 120Gb Force Solid

Anything specific I will need to assemble or have left out?

I already have a Mouse:Razer Deathadder

Decent machine there, I don't see a screen though?

I'd personally replace the Keyboard and Mouse with a Roccat Arvo and Roccat Kone
    Last edited by Maplassie; 06-01-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maplassie View Post
    Decent machine there, I don't see a screen though?

I'd personally replace the Keyboard and Mouse with a Roccat Arvo and Roccat Kova
    I agree with the above statement.
    CPU: i7 2600k // ASUS Maximus IV EXTREME [email protected] // Corsair 8gig DDR3 @ 1600mhz // ASUS GTX580 DirectCU2 // 9800GT // 2x intel X25-m 40gig SSDs raid0 // Corsair Force 3 SSD

Thanks Maplassie & frank007 for the replies. I currently have a Samsung Syncmaster 2333.
    I will have a look at the Roccat Arvo&Kova.

On the GFX Card, I will stay away from Gigabyte Cards... I Have proved they perform slower than the other.
    Personal Prefs:
    MSI
    ASUS
    XFX (Closed down though)
    LeadTek.

Quote Originally Posted by m3n4ce View Post
    On the GFX Card, I will stay away from Gigabyte Cards... I Have proved they perform slower than the other.
    Personal Prefs:
    MSI
    ASUS
    XFX (Closed down though)
    LeadTek.
    I dont agree with the above statement. I have only used gigabyte cards and i have not had any problems with them at all. They also overclock like the stig on heat. The twin fans on the GTX460's i have also keep them cool while overclocked.
    CPU: i7 2600k // ASUS Maximus IV EXTREME [email protected] // Corsair 8gig DDR3 @ 1600mhz // ASUS GTX580 DirectCU2 // 9800GT // 2x intel X25-m 40gig SSDs raid0 // Corsair Force 3 SSD

Quote Originally Posted by frank007 View Post
    I dont agree with the above statement. I have only used gigabyte cards and i have not had any problems with them at all. They also overclock like the stig on heat. The twin fans on the GTX460's i have also keep them cool while overclocked.
    It was a few years back where I tested a Geforce 8800 XFX against a Gigabyte and the XFX over powered the Gigabyte. Might have changed in recent years though...

first 6 words in your statement says it. Look, the Gigabytes standard are ok but they really start showing what they've got when you oc. They are not the best cards but to say you would not buy them cause of a couple of years ago test is not right. But each to their own. Some people like asus some people like gigabyte same goes for BMW and Mercedes.
    Last edited by frank007; 06-01-2011 at 10:29 AM.

True.... I have little Fanboi in me eager to show its ugly face!
    But yes I agree, its a matter of personal experience with specific brands, I.e. if you had problems with a Nokia phone in the past you wont be to eager to buy one in the future.

Thanks for the lively debate
    I am potentially looking at getting the Palit nVidia GTX 570. Price seems fair.
    I had a look at the Roccat keyboards. It is an interesting choice. Will do some more reading. Potentially only making my final choices on Monday.