Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: In defence of console shooters

Default In defence of console shooters

MyGaming's resident PS3 nut takes a look at first person shooters on consoles

In defence of console shooters

The Legendary Troll Hunter OmegaFenix's Avatar

Found the article refreshing and find myself agreeing with Dan. Though originally a PC gamer i moved over to consoles (Only xbox yet planning on getting a ps3 soon.) for the simple reason that i don't have to upgrade my tech every time a new title hits. Today i mostly play only on my Xbox, my newly up graded pc housing my RTS and RPG games and other PC exclusives. Growing up i couldn't imagine playing anything, let alone an FPS with those dingy controllers, today it as natural as breathing.

On the other side there are some shooters than just wont be as much fun with the limited controls offered by the console controllers, i'm thinking mostly of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

My article:

In defense of the keyboard and mouse:

What happens next?

Before the hapless AI even has a chance to flinch, your auto aiming kicks in and positions your cursor precisely on the enemy’s head.

Realizing that the option of the picking which nostril is up to the console you take a break. Hmmm, left one was chosen from here. The console lines up your shot to within the circle of his head [because the resolution sucks on your normal tv] and tapping the left trigger it executes a perfect headshot before the enemy has even raised his weapon. There are no brains on your shirt because the xbox charges for that downloadable content, the game yet again applauds you with verbal confirmation of your accuracy and awards you bonus points or some unlockable extra for all your... uh... hard work.

Now let’s look at the opposing PC side. Imagine a target is bearing down on you and you have only seconds to save yourself. Your team mate has been pinned down by a Hunter so you flick around quickly, push him off and kill the hunter with a well placed shot. Spinning back around, you and your teammate run backwards, firing shots at the horde rushing you, a well placed headshot wont help you here. Cornered to a wall, you manage to survive the onslaught, wen suddenly the wall breaks down behind you, flicking quickly you manage to fire off a single shot that knocks back the beast before it manages to kill you where in the console, it would be instant death from behind.

Just in time. Saved.

You follow up with melee attack, sending him reeling backwards before finally getting a clear moment to pop him one in the skull. His virtual brains spray across the screen [free downloadable content]. Using the mouse to check the dark corners quickly for more threats as you breathe out and reload.

With practically every FPS on the market touting itself as being highly realistic (except for TF2, HL2, L4D... and every other non-war FPS, then than again, console owners only know COD), the laziness of the auto-aim makes things seem anything but: can the killing of enemy scum still be seen as a measure of skill when it’s auto aimed by the console? Can it be a measure of skill when the console is dumbed down to allow for thumb controls?

-------------------------------

It's a very silly argument. I've yet to see a L4D game pull of a sniper and not lead to carnage stated in the original article.
    Last edited by Keldarza; 07-05-2009 at 08:47 AM.
    Wait... what?

whats with all the aritacls thats trying to convert us to consoles? any way the main reason i am with PC is AAA titles usaly Below R400 and most console games are above R500 and then its cheap

Console = once off payment of less than R5000. My Pc cost me R25 000.

Quote Originally Posted by Keldarza View Post
    Before the hapless AI even has a chance to flinch, your auto aiming kicks in and positions your cursor precisely on the enemy’s head.
    Obviously the article was written 'with auto aiming disabled,' so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Keldarza View Post
    because the resolution sucks on your normal tv
    Sure, because we all know that most current-gen console owners don't bother to use to 1080i/p output and prefer the SD picture on their CRTs instead.

With practically every FPS on the market touting itself as being highly realistic (except for TF2, HL2, L4D... and every other non-war FPS, then than again, console owners only know COD)
    Again you quote selectively to support your argument: you neglected to quote the "multiplayer may be a different story where realism is overridden by the simple quest for frags" part.

Anyway, it's just an opinion piece, though I appreciate the time you took to attempt to dissect it

I enjoyed it, and thought the points were good. I do however prefer PC shooters

And no one is trying to convert anyone to consoles. It's just an opinion piece in responce to the general consensus that Console FPS' suck.

While he does have some points. All he rarely proves is that the mouse and k/b are vastly superior to the ai of current games and that by playing on a console you bring yourself down to the same level or close to it.

I still believe if you get players of the same level and give one a mouse and k/b and the other a controller the guy with the mouse will win by a landslide.

I prefer console shooters over pc shooters these days

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan9 View Post
    I still believe if you get players of the same level and give one a mouse and k/b and the other a controller the guy with the mouse will win by a landslide.
    This is like saying that the Nissan GTR is a sh1t car because it will be beaten by any Formula 1 car.