Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rift: 5 Things Rift Does Wrong

Question Rift: 5 Things Rift Does Wrong

found the article on mmorpg, would be interesting to see what some of you who play rift feels about the points raised.

unfortunately my comments are only from the beta, though i can agree on some of them like the questing, well yet to get a mmo where questing is ZOMG all the time. at a certain stage it just gets repetitive, then again mmo is about not solo play ( just go play sp if you want that ), but obviously the whole interaction with with other players...

Rift: 5 Things Rift Does Wrong - Article By: William Murphy

Lifeless Questing
    Two of my complaints against Rift really can go hand in hand but I think they each deserve their own bullets. For a game that does the dynamic invasion content so well, I find it a little disheartening that questing in Rift amounts to basically: go to hub, get a bunch of quests, go to bright yellow circle, kill things, return to hub when objectives are met. It’s a form of directed “grinding” as MMO quests usually are. I get that. And while the writing for the quests is well done, I find that I’m just clicking accept more and more as time goes on. I suppose this is why other companies are toying with the way in which quest objectives and text are presented, and I feel that Rift’s system (while passable) is in need of either better quest objectives, or better presentation and more probably both. Again it works, it does what the game needs it to do, it’s just kind of “blah”.

Stale Solo Play

This could be said of a lot of MMORPGs I suppose. While the trend, and one I’m thankful for, is to give players the ability to solo and progress should they need to, I find Rift immensely more fun when I’m in a group. This problem is a sum of two things for me: the repetitious quest grind and the tried & true combat mechanics. I’ve been playing these games for over a decade now, and by and large the combat has been similar in more titles than not. So when Rift comes along with its beautiful vistas, massive invasion events, and intriguing class-based system I’m a little let down when the action and questing are so mundane when played alone. Often times I only have enough time to hop in and do a quest or two and then log off. Luckily, I can hop into some PvP in that amount of time and still make progress, because the questing itself while relaxing is boring when alone. I guess they argument could be made that Trion made grouping so fun and easy to do that this is why soloing is left behind… but I really think that solo play just shows where the game is weakest.

Checklist Crafting
    I’m not a crafter by nature. So maybe I’m not the person best to evaluate Rift in this area. But I do know that I like crafting when it’s more active in nature than simply collecting some ingredients and making tons of useless items to level up a skill. That’s all crafting in Rift amounts to. It’s fine for some folks, I’m sure. And I’m aware that you can make some good and useful items to boot. But it’s just so tedious and useless to me when you find so much gear while playing and get so much more from questing. It seems like crafting was put in just to say there is crafting. But again, I’m not a diehard maker of things so maybe I’m just asking too much.

PvP Balance

The downside of the Ascended Soul system? Too many options, too many combinations, equals one very difficult balancing act for PvP content. If there’s one thing competitive players hate, it’s unbalanced classes that lead to FotM builds. Rift will likely be fighting this stigma for years to come. I’m reminded of some of our time spent with the devs at shows and press events when they told us quite plainly that they expected balance to be an ongoing issue with their PvP. As any player of the game can tell you now: that’s about the long and short of it. The PvP matches can still be a lot of fun, and are a great way to supplement your questing grind to the top, but they can just as easily wind up frustrating the crap out of you. We’ll see how the 1.1 patch does, but I really do think this is going to be one of the game’s biggest hurdles in the immediate future.

Just Two Leveling Paths

I personally feel that one of the biggest draws of a theme-park MMO is its replayability. I often find myself bored at the cap because I just don’t usually get into the gear-grind that most games rely on. Instead to enjoy a game while I wait for new content, I often resort to running a new character through the paces. Now I think there’s a lot of reason to play at least one of each archetype in Rift, but my problem lies in the fact that I’ll be trudging through the same quests and zones all the way to level 50 on a second run through the content. Maybe new content and expansions will address this, and I’m lucky that these days getting to the level cap takes me eons so maybe I’ll not run into this problem with Rift. But chances are I’m not the only one who’s not all too excited about playing through the same content several times without even a slightly deviated path unless I want to change factions (which I don’t).
    // Previously known as Blind Faith or Pr⊕phet
    // Sign up to Greenman Gaming and get $2 FREE in-store credit.

Commenting on the "Lifeless Questing", I am yet to play a MMO that's questing system is considerably better.

I agree with a lot of the points raised, especially the unimaginative questing. It's probably the main reason I'm not hopelessly addicted (thank goodness ), they are very repetitive.

From what I read about Guild Wars they are redefining the entire questing dynamic which is what MMO's sorely need imo.

Solo play is fine, but it's always way more fun with a group and not to harp on about GW2, but there they are making most of the quest dynamics group quests, think Rifts but for all the quest content.

Crafting and PVP I can't comment on since I haven't done much of either. I think had it not been for an awesome guild, roles, rifts and an imaginative world to explore I wouldn't have played this for very long, since I've the MMORPG thing before.

Probably could agree to some points in that list, but then that is the way of a current trend in all mmo's.
    Until something really different and innovative comes along, might as well call that list MMO: 5 things MMO's did (do) wrong.

If you want exciting questing in an MMO, you're going to have to wait for SWTOR.

Also, about crafting, I also have not played an MMO yet that has a much different crafting system than this. I've played about 6 so far in my life- so I really don't know what (if any) this guy is comparing Rift to.
    Last edited by Gimaru; 30-03-2011 at 02:34 PM.

MMOs, I suppose, aren't really about solo play, in that sense Prophet is correct. But at the same time, you shouldn't be forced to group in order to meet objectives. It's not so much about playing the game to play in groups, but rather to play a game where you're part of a community. Not a community in the sense where you're all playing the same game, but a living, breathing hub of people constantly interacting with each other.

I think I'm going to answer those points one by one - just to give my point of view. Sadly - I'm going to be drawing some comparison to Aion, since that's what I've been playing most recently:

Lifeless questing

Nothing new here really. It's a trend in most MMOs. I do find questing in Rift to be abysmally boring. Even if it's pretty much the same as every other MMO ever, although I feel Guildwars managed to sidestep this a little bit, since the situation inside an area would change based on what you've completed in the area. Rifting makes things a little more interesting and breaks the monotony, but the flipside of that is I have occasions where I would just like to finish a quest chain off when a rift pops up in the area and I'm forced to clear that first before carrying on.

Stale solo play

Again, not new - and I haven't had the chance to group up properly yet (outside of public groups when closing rifts).

Checklist crafting

I haven't really done any crafting - so I'm not going to comment here.

PvP Balance

Once again - very little to comment on - but I agree that the classes skills system is perhaps a little overcomplicated. Yes, you have almost infinite variety and room for experiment, but when you're looking at those three soul trees and deciding where to put your points - it's a little daunting.

2 Leveling paths - aka Replayability

I'll say this much for Aion - I've created hordes of new characters - run them through the same areas again and again - and I love doing it each time. Seven of my characters are more or less permanent - my final slot is constantly being refreshed. Yes, I've run out of content at the top, and I get bored of my top level chars, which is why when Aion does put some new content in again, I'll be heading back. I'm just not getting the same sense of immersion with Rift.

A few other comments that niggle me so far in Rift:

Character creation: In this day and age, the level of character creation available in Rift is shockingly lacking. It's not like being able to tweak the tiniest features of your character is startling new technology - so I was really disappointed by the limited number of options available.

Combat: Something that is bothering me so far - along with the obscene cool-down time between skills. I'm not referring to individual skill CD here, but the universal CD that kicks in when you use a skill. It's annoying (as with my cleric) having to wait a half-second before being able to click my next skill - although it's rather pointless I feel when I can just keep clicking on the skill that does the most damage until my target critter is dead.

When I was playing Aion I was entertained by the fighting - combat in Aion is actually superbly fluid, due in part to the skill-chains they implemented. At the same time you're constantly moving to gain attack and defence bonuses, trying to get behind your opponent - and your character is pretty much showing off really. But it's beautiful to watch. So far with Rift though, all I've been doing is standing in a spot and (the cleric classes are especially guilty here) doing a thump-wait-thump-wait-thump-dead routine. So the lifeless tag kinda works here too. I also get really bothered when a critter gets behind me and I get a message saying "target must be in front of you" when I click on a skill - instead of, say, my character just turning around by itself and thumping the offending bugger.

Gear and armor: In the lower levels especially. You get gear for a huge number of your quests - which removes a lot of the feeling of accomplishment you get from either killing a boss, saving up cash, or getting a rare drop. Plus, everyone pretty much ends up looking the same. Add this together with the limited character options and you have a bunch of moderately different clones running around.

The Rifts: In essence, these are a great idea - and I was looking forward to it ... but I wasn't expecting the Rifts to be popping up the whole damn time. The novelty was there initially, but when you've closed 5 or 6 rifts in the space of an hour, it wears off really fast.

Achievements: Another good idea that became a little unscrewed. Usually (especially considering the lack of accomplishment re armor and gear) this would help. Except - just too many, and too easy. "You've reached level 10" Not exactly something to be proud of in my book. In Aion at least, reaching level 10 meant becoming Ascended - which included the spiffy little parade and ceremony movie (if you happened to be Elyos). It looked good, it felt good.

Whoa! End game. Already?! I accept that there are people with a lot of time on their hands. And also people who are immediately comfortable in Rift. But the freaking game is a month old, and people are already finishing end-game content?!? That's way way way too fast. So patch 1.1 is following right away, bringing with it new content, which is great. But people must've been either tearing through the game at such a pace that everything was a blur, or there just wasn't enough.

A few other things:

I can't really comment on the graphical aspect - the environment looks pretty good, but considering I'm running things on lowish detail it could probably look a lot better. Same applies to the character. But, I can comment on character animations - and once again Rift falls a little short. In terms of Aion/GW movement looked and felt lot more real, unless of course you felt compelled to create your own version of Stumpy, in which case you looked like a ball on legs and sounded like a rat on speed when moving. In Rift though, when I'm heading somewhere I keep expecting to hear someone shout "Run, Forrest, run!!". Yeah - looks a little retarded.

Okay - so my impression of the game thus far seems mostly negative - I'm still looking to give Rift a fair chance. It hasn't grabbed my by the balls yet (something Aion did really, really quickly) - so I'm going to be playing until the end of my first paid sub. If the game hasn't impressed me by that time, it probably won't, and I'll head back to Aion, where at least when I finally get that Anuhart piece I'm praying for every time I enter DP, I'll feel good about it.
    Last edited by shadowfox; 30-03-2011 at 03:40 PM.

All those things that the writer of the article mentioned, as well as extra things that other's have mentioned, could just as well be titled:

How Rift is FAR too similar to WoW.

I couldn't really comment on similarities to WoW, since I've never played it, and never felt an urge to. I've been the subject of some ribbing - in all fairness, probably - for being so violently opposed to something I've never actually played.

Having taken note of many people's comments with regards to similarities between the two - well, it's probably just as well I never tried playing it.

Oh, don't misunderstand me shadowfox.

WoW is an amazing game.
    Especially as a mainstream MMO, it has everything it needs to have.

Problem is, I have been playing it for 7 years... after 7 years, I REALLY need my next MMO to be so far different from WoW, it pretty much has to redefine the entire damn genre lol.

Quote Originally Posted by wheunis View Post
    Oh, don't misunderstand me shadowfox.

WoW is an amazing game.
    Especially as a mainstream MMO, it has everything it needs to have.

Problem is, I have been playing it for 7 years... after 7 years, I REALLY need my next MMO to be so far different from WoW, it pretty much has to redefine the entire damn genre lol.
    Look at Guild Wars 2 then, it's redefining a huge amount of MMO conventions. If it succeeds like I hope it will then we could start to see more devs breaking away from these obsolete conventions.