Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PC troubles

Default PC troubles

Wanna know if anyone can help me, this is incredibly annoying.

About ~2 weeks ago my computer started acting up and randomly BSODing. It's happen at weird times, sometimes when I'd leave my computer for a while I'd come back and it'd have done it (usually left Google Chrome, WMP and some other programs open). Then sometimes I'd be playing WoW and it just crashes with no lag, nothing new happening, nothing.

Eventually my computer wouldn't start up, so yesterday I formatted and installed Windows 7. Things were going fine and I have copied across some music and my WoW folder, that's it. Still crashed just now. I'm trying to figure out what it could be. I have a pretty new HD so I hope it's not that, but god damn...

Could it be Chrome? Chrome seems to be the only thing I leave open...
    Couscous; the food so nice they named it twice

Id go test your RAM otherwise it might be your MoBo.

How is your cooling? Excessive heat can sometimes cause this as well.

I thought of cooling, but then again I've been running this pc for a year now and it's never been a problem.

I'll try and test my RAM, see what happens. Also trying a registry scan

Waitwait, looking now and something weird is up...I ran a format but all my old shit is still here? Must've run as an update. >< I hate computers
    Last edited by Shamrock; 17-05-2009 at 02:26 PM.

My money is on a bad memory module, keep us updated.

Did a clean format and installed Windows 7. Seems to be stable, will let you know. On a side note, Windows 7 is the sexiest thing I've ever used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
    Did a clean format and installed Windows 7. Seems to be stable, will let you know. On a side note, Windows 7 is the sexiest thing I've ever used.
    You have seen the light mate
    Eat - Sleep - Overclock - Repeat

Normally this type of issue is caused by RAM
    Although PSU and GFX card issues are also known to BSOD, It might be gfx card as you have stated that even under Idle ( Lower Temps ) the PC still crashes.

Start swapping out hardware and test the results

MyGaming Comp Authoritah sycogrim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xerowing View Post
    Normally this type of issue is caused by RAM
    Although PSU and GFX card issues are also known to BSOD, It might be gfx card as you have stated that even under Idle ( Lower Temps ) the PC still crashes.

Start swapping out hardware and test the results
    yes it could be ram but it could also be that the CPU fan is either lowering its speed like mine has done before therefore causing the CPU to overheat and drop ur machine or the MOBO has a short circuit in it as I have noticed recently with a friends mobo that when something on there gets too hot or something isnt right ur PSU trips as a safety feature so that nothing else gets damaged....
    All it takes is ONE BAD DAY tO ReDuCe the SaNesT Man Alive To LuNaCy. That's How Far The World Is From Where I am. JUST ONE BAD DAY

Blog Entries . YouTube Channel and Playlists

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFox
    I'm gonna tolerate and love...........THE SHIT OUTTA YOU
    Shadowfox's response to me in my failed attempts to annoy him

i wanna give win7 a try? is it locally hosted somewhere?

but back to the topic, yes try the ram first - maybe run a few programs at once, leave the pc on etc to see if it still works - cause if it was a s/w problem the new install should do the trick

Things have been stable enough...no crashes for ~30 hours or so, then just earlier I had a few programs running and the pc froze and blue screened. There is a chance that was from a different cause though, since the circumstance was different. I'll run a RAM test though.