Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Duke Nukem developer answers Take-Two suit

  1. #1
    The Piper Necuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,306

    Default Duke Nukem developer answers Take-Two suit

    Duke Nukem developer answers Take-Two suit
    Supposed Duke Nukem Forever developer 3D Realms has responded to a lawsuit filed by the game's would-be publisher, Take-Two Interactive, calling it "merely a bully tactic" to seize the Duke Nukem franchise.

    Take-Two filed a lawsuit against the game maker on May 13, alleging it had breached a $12m contract by failing to deliver DNF, which has been under development since 1997.

    The company also clarified reports that 3D Realms has completely shut down, saying it still intends to license and "co-create" games based on Duke Nukem in the future. The Duke Nukem Forever team, however, was sacked on May 6, according to the statement.

    "Take-Two never paid 3DR advances or any signing bonus or any other funds related to DNF, up until July 2008, at which time they paid $2.5m in connection with another agreement for an unannounced game," the company said. "This is the sum total Take-Two has paid 3DR in connection with DNF."

    Take-Two claims in its lawsuit that it paid $12 million to Infrogames for exclusive publishing rights to DNF, which in turn received the pact from GT Interactive when it was bought out in 1999.

    "To be clear, 3DR was not a party to that transaction and did not receive any money from it," the company continued in the statement. "When DNF was originally signed with GT Interactive in 1998, GT paid a $400,000 signing bonus. Up until July 2008, this was the only publisher money we received for the DNF game."

    3D Realms added its put over $20m into the production of DNF (over these past 12 years).

    Late last year, 3D Realms "began negotiations" with Take-Two to provide funding for the game. The studio says it was hitting mutually-agreed milestones for the game's completion, despite not having firmed up the funding agreement.

    "Take-Two was well aware that 3DR needed the funding to continue the DNF game development," the company stated. "3DR informed Take-Two that it could not financially afford the changes Take-Two was suggesting and would be forced to release the team if an agreement was not reached."

    That's when 3D Realms claims Take-Two made a proposal to buy the Duke Nukem franchise for a "fire sale" price. Negotiations broke off on May 4, and the development team got the boot a few days later.

    Court documents for the lawsuit indicate the Take-Two wanted a temporary restraining order forbidding 3D Realms from altering or leaking the game's source code during the case. 3D Realms claims the court has denied that request.

    "While we cannot comment on the details of the ongoing lawsuit, we believe Take-Two's lawsuit is without merit and merely a bully tactic to obtain ownership of the Duke Nukem franchise," the statement says. "We will vigorously defend ourselves against this publisher."

    A full-text copy of the statement is available over at Shack News. ®
    sure take2 just wants to gobble at duke, interisting coming from those with there forever when its ready...
    // Previously known as Blind Faith or Pr⊕phet
    // Sign up to Greenman Gaming and get $2 FREE in-store credit.

  2. #2
    The Legendary Troll Hunter OmegaFenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not here....
    Posts
    34,144

    Default

    "While we cannot comment on the details of the ongoing lawsuit, we believe Take-Two's lawsuit is without merit and merely a bully tactic to obtain ownership of the Duke Nukem franchise," the statement says. "We will vigorously defend ourselves against this publisher."
    What franchise? Its dead, except for a DS title or two it doesn't exist and hasn't since 1998. If they hadn't bankrupted themselves because of poor planning or poor management or poor business ethic then they wouldn't be in this mess. I bet the dev team will have their own story to tell and that they are pretty sour about being sacked after everything. I hope take2 wins the suit and gets the rights, then re-employ the dev team under a new studio and Finish the Damn Title!
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"


  3. #3
    HANDsolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,062

    Default

    Just give the rights to Id.

  4. #4
    The Piper Necuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HANDsolo View Post
    Just give the rights to Id.
    god no, they would just apply the shadows of doom engine to it.
    // Previously known as Blind Faith or Pr⊕phet
    // Sign up to Greenman Gaming and get $2 FREE in-store credit.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3

    Default

    you can never give the source code rights or IP to id-software or even cryteck for that
    matter... duke is DUKE because of who created it and no1 else is gonna make it that way... you will land up playing simething that looks like Q4 and plays like CSS.....
    Last edited by Miroslav; 19-05-2009 at 06:13 PM.

  6. #6
    The Legendary Troll Hunter OmegaFenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not here....
    Posts
    34,144

    Default

    When Take2 wins the suit if i where them id hire the original dev team and say "ok chaps finish this. In no more than 1 year."
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •