Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new ADSL modem?

Default Time for a new ADSL modem?

With no apparent line faults, the next suspect in the mystery of my intermittent loss of internet connectivity is according to my ISP, my aging DLink 2640U ADSL modem.

I would like to test this by purchasing a reasonably cheap [under R500] replacement and using it to go online for a week.
    I did ask around at work to see whether anyone had a spare that I could borrow, but had no success there.

Suggestions?

I don't need wireless functionality or more than one network port.

Thanks
    =|This space for rent|=

You could get a Billion 400G router. It's what telkom gives to their new ADSL line subscribers, and I think I saw one on Bid or Buy for about R300. Yes, it has 4 RJ-45 connectors and wireless, but it is really cheap and out one works like a charm.

Thunda (or something like that) at IC is apparently cheap & good.

You're going about this the wrong way though. You should first try another ISP & see if the problem persists. If it does you take the router to the closest IT shop & ask them to test it....not sure whether that will cost you. Naturally that also depends on your idea of intermittent...might not be feasible.

In my opinion its unlikely to be the router or ISP. Line issue remains the top candidate, even if Telkom says the line is OK. Some things can also mess of an ADSL line at random intervals....certain frequencies microwave etc....I've never actually seen that happen though so its solidly in the rumour category.

What are you syncing at?

2208Kbps downstream at this very moment. Should be 4096.
    It sometimes drops to 800 or 900.

Will try it with my Afrihost account.
    =|This space for rent|=

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    2208Kbps downstream at this very moment. Should be 4096.
    It sometimes drops to 800 or 900.

Will try it with my Afrihost account.
    No if its not syncing at the right speed then changing ADSL accounts won't help.

Like I said, I still think its the line. Can you borrow a friends router maybe to test the line?

Also, 2208 is technically still "working" per Telkom rules. They only guarantee 1024kbps....anything above that is best effort.

Aging router? wow that is a new one coming from a company that uses aging copper lines.

Get them to fix their lines.

Other suggestions:
    - Update the firmware on the router
    - Post your S-N ratio, attenuation and other stats here
    - Drop down to ADSL 1
    - Test with a friend's router
    - Make sure your filter is in place.
    "multiplatform"... the word that ruins games for PC gamers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pr⊕phet
    "How boss is this ?" what kinda slang is that

Updated firmware early this year. It seems to have fixed the problem I had with the status light going beserk.
    POTS filter is plugged in.

OK, so here are my stats....

=|This space for rent|=

SNR tanked. Its the line as suspected. 6 & change isn't enough for 4mbps. It could also be the router measuring it wrong, but thats very unlikely.

If your ISP tracks adsl port numbers then see if that changed. Often tanking stats occurs simultaneously with port num switches.

Phone Telkom & ask for a port reset. If that doesn't help you can try asking for a different port. Failing that, checks the links between you ADSL router up to the telephone pole (you can't touch the pole & box)...its a long shot but after that only the physical copper is left & you're unlikely to get Telkom to fix that.
    Last edited by HavocXphere; 02-05-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Why are there 2 versions up there?

Yes, your SNR margin is bad and that is why you have line problems which are not caused by high attenuation.

Try without the pots filter, get telkom to sort out the problem (whether that be resetting the port or changing the target SNR)
    "multiplatform"... the word that ruins games for PC gamers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pr⊕phet
    "How boss is this ?" what kinda slang is that

My friend came and picked up my modem for testing this morning and has lent me his Zyxel. [Easier to work with than my Dlink it is]
    I left it running for most of todayand it does not seem to have fallen over badly since the first minute or two I used it.

It has not been reporting odd and fluctuating DSL speeds either. It has been sitting at 2mbps since this morning.
    The rain we have had today does not seem to have caused a problem anywhere so far as my internet connection is concerned.

Will carry on testing.
    =|This space for rent|=