Thread: The Sports Thread

Default The Sports Thread

Who do you support? Rugby and Football. Don't know what other Sports there are...LOL Talk anything related.

I will Start...

I Support The Sharks, The Boks, Blitzbokke and Bafana Bafana.

Sharks not doing great currently...but can make it right. Blitzbokke just won London Sevens; was a great final. Bafana Bafana playing Egypt next week in Cairo. If we win Egypt can't qualify for Afcon and we should have gauranteed a spot in the AFCON. SA U/20 Rugby also playing in u/20 world Champs next week; we have a huge/Physical side, can't see Baby Boks not lifting the Cup. Gonna smash some Aussies and New Zealanders, looking forward to it.
    Last edited by JJR; 24-05-2011 at 10:31 AM.

football! go barca! other than that the closest sport is cod:mw2 lol

I think supporting overseas teams is pointless unless you have some sort of connection to them. If there's a South African playing on the team, I will support them, otherwise I really don't bother. Soccer annoys me anyway as rolling on the floor like a pansy is a widespread strategy. I generally find local soccer rather annoying but I will support the Capetonian teams like Ajax CT if by chance I am watching a game.

Then there are the two sports which reign supreme, rugby and cricket. I support all Bok teams and was also very impressed by the Blitzbokke performance this Sunday. I support the Stormers and WP. In cricket, I support the Proteas wholeheartedly even though they've hurt me so much in the past. I also support the Cobras. Unfortunately I don't get to watch as much sport as I would like, esp. cricket, because I don't have DSTV. For rugby, I generally go watch at the gym but I generally can't spare the sort of time required by a cricket game to watch it in an environment where I can't do work simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by JJR View Post
    Who do you support? Rugby and Football. Don't know what other Sports there are...LOL Talk anything related.

I will Start...z

I Support The Sharks, The Boks, Blitzbokke and Bafana Bafana.

Sharks not doing great currently...but can make it right. Blitzbokke just won London Sevens; was a great final. Bafana Bafana playing Egypt next week in Cairo. If we win Egypt can't qualify for Afcon and we should have gauranteed a spot in the AFCON. SA U/20 Rugby also playing in u/20 world Champs next week; we have a huge/Physical side, can't see Baby Boks not lifting the Cup. Gonna smash some Aussies and New Zealanders, looking forward to it.

SA for all INTERNATIONAL sport.
    Club Level: Kaizer Chiefs, Man Utd, Juventus, Real madrid, Ajax [in order\by country]
    Dolphins, Chennai SK
    Natal Sharks

Individual:
    Ernie and Tiger in Golf, Roger Federer in Tennis.
    Will sway to Lewis Hamilton\Jenson Button in F1 - since Damon Hill and Jacques Villenueve are long gone.

Springboks, Proteas, Stormers/WP, Man U.

I will watch most sports as I enjoy it quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost29 View Post
    I think supporting overseas teams is pointless unless you have some sort of connection to them.
    well im glad u added the unless part ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost29 View Post
    very impressed by the Blitzbokke performance this Sunday.
    At 14-0 down i must admit i changed the channel. Was a frustrating weekend for me with the Sharks losing and Pirates winning and seeing Fiji steamroll SA again (after the group-stage and last 7s tournament) was not looking too attractive.

Was glad to see the final results and pleasantly surprised.

I Share the sentiment that football/soccer is not a "true" Professional sport when looking at what is currently happening. Why? they get paid; but all the diving and milking for Cards and stuff...so unprofessional. Rugby is truly the Ultimate Professional Sport/test. Have to be a GYM bunny, have to recover from injuries/Niggles week in and week out....it goes on, Rugby is a truly awesome test for a Professional Sportsman.

Cricket...great palying it in the backyard; but you only really need talent to become a Pro...don't really find many athletes playing Cricket. No huge focus on Conditioning, which is bad, cos no matter what Sport you play Strong Conditioning in The Gym will make you better at what you do... A true Professional player should always be striving for improvement in all aspects...which i feel only Rugby forces out of those who want to be succesful in the Sport.

Football is close to Rugby in terms of being Professional on and off the field; but the diving and faking injuries must go!!!
    Also a lot more exciting to see Guys smashing into each other than watching some guys 1-2's with a soccer ball pretty much 85 minutes of the match. Cricket....just plain boring to me.
    Last edited by JJR; 24-05-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by myjdjames View Post
    well im glad u added the unless part ...

At 14-0 down i must admit i changed the channel. Was a frustrating weekend for me with the Sharks losing and Pirates winning and seeing Fiji steamroll SA again (after the group-stage and last 7s tournament) was not looking too attractive.

Was glad to see the final results and pleasantly surprised.
    10 minutes a half in the Final of Sevens. We were behind 14-0 after 3; there was a lot of time to correct things. The Tactics the Blitzbokke employed in the second half was brilliant...was almost like watching a 15 a side test match. Kick for Touch and maul...it was like Bulls rugby; they had to keep it tight against Fiji because of all their runners.Very happy they won, Sharks let me down and now Ndungane and J.Du Plessis are out for a Month with injuries. We need Clemont to lose in the French Top 14 so we can get M.Joubert in The Sharks 12 Position as soon as Possible. At Least Smit and Daniel are back this week and Kanko should be back the week after.
    Last edited by JJR; 24-05-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJR View Post
    I Share the sentiment that football/soccer is not a "true" Professional sport when looking at what is currently happening. Why? they get paid; but all the diving and milking for Cards and stuff...so unprofessional. Rugby is truly the Ultimate Professional Sport/test. Have to be a GYM bunny, have to recover from injuries/Niggles week in and week out....it goes on, Rugby is a truly awesome test for a Professional Sportsman.

Cricket...great palying it in the backyard; but you only really need talent to become a Pro...don't really find many athletes playing Cricket. No huge focus on Conditioning, which is bad, cos no matter what Sport you play Strong Conditioning in The Gym will make you better at what you do... A true Professional player should always be striving for improvement in all aspects...which i feel only Rugby forces out of those who want to be succesful in the Sport.

Football is close to Rugby in terms of being Professional on and off the field; but the diving and faking injuries must go!!!
    I think you being a bit hard on footballers and cricketers here. Certainly cricket used to be as u have described, but the levels of fitness and conditioning over the past 10 years have greatly increased. I know we get the odd exception Ramesh Powar, but great emphasis is placed on fitness and conditioning especially with coaches like John buchanan, Gary Kirsten and Ray jennings. I definitely agree tho that its not at the same level as rugby\soccer but it does provide an advantage to u.
    Test Cricket is no joke either for fast bowlers. The amount of strain the body goes through after every single delivery is massive and joints do take a pounding.

As for soccer, diving has been a major issue and turn off, but its not called the beautiful game for nothing, nor is it the biggest sport in the world by chance. You have the bad apples who take full advantage of the law and dive because it may give them the advantage. I think if u had to introduce citings\post match analysis; then it would cut out their attempts.

I love football soccer and rugby and long may SA's competitiveness continue.

SA; for the Population size we have it is incredible how we can be at the top of many so Sports. Rugby, Golf, Cricket, Swimming and Athletics and Bafana Bafana have gone from 100 something in the World Rankings to a team that could be 20-30 in the World Rankings come the end of the Year. Bafana Bafana have beaten France, Ghana and Egypt over the past year...pretty good results if you ask me...keep on Rising Boys!!! The quality Depth in South African Football has literally almost tripled since 2008; so many players that are now very capable of playing at International level. I can definitely see us Winning the Afcon, again and being a African side that qualifies for every World Cup without much effort.
    Last edited by JJR; 24-05-2011 at 02:08 PM.