Thread: Legal advice needed

Default Legal advice needed

I've done this before and don't remember it being this bad, but maybe I'm just forgetful. Anyway, my wife and I are buying a second property (land only) on the Natal South Coast for R165k. Now I know as the buyer I'm obligated to pay lawyers fees, transfer costs, banks lawyers etc.

My question is this, am I obligated to use the seller's lawyers? And if so, is there a limit as to how much they may charge or is it worked out according to the total of the sale? They are charging approx R7k for their side and maybe I'm full of shit, but that seems excessive to me. Obviously I will pay if I have no alternative, but if I can save some cash, great.

Okay, it seem there is a recommended tariff chart, but it seems not obligatory. Will see when official papers come through with costs laid out and take it from there.

I bought this year and just ended up using the lawyers that the sellers used and the lawyers that the bank appointed. Two different companies. I think the estate agent said you can use your own lawyer if you are willing to pay for them.

At least you won't pay transfer duty.

Make sure to find out all the costs.

Also maybe try one of those bond and transfer costs calculators
    Last edited by czc; 16-05-2011 at 11:01 AM.
    T A N S T A A F L

MyGaming Comp Authoritah sycogrim's Avatar

The best person to PM about this sort of thing is Wenzdayz, shes doing her Articles in Law or something like that and she should be able to assist...
    All it takes is ONE BAD DAY tO ReDuCe the SaNesT Man Alive To LuNaCy. That's How Far The World Is From Where I am. JUST ONE BAD DAY

Blog Entries . YouTube Channel and Playlists

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFox
    I'm gonna tolerate and love...........THE SHIT OUTTA YOU
    Shadowfox's response to me in my failed attempts to annoy him

Thanks guys.

There are no transfer fees luckily. Spoke to a mate who worked at a big lawyer firm and I can use my own lawyers, but that takes longer etc. Will rather get a quote if needed and query the fees being charged and take it from there.

U will need to get the relevant information from a conveyancer. Attorneys all charge per tariff or per agreed fee. A non conveyancing attorney may only provide only so much info. A conveyancer will be able to detail the nitty gritty aspects of billing procedure

I just want to warn you guys that people tend to exploit others who don't know what their rights are.
    Know your rights!
    Buy a handbook on contract rights (even if it is one of the "for dummies" books).

I've had many instances where people tried to BS me and I was able to quote, from the law, article numbers, sections, subsections etc. They backed off quickly and gave my what they were supposed to.
    Once got into a rather livid fight at the post office over customs charges. They HAD to cave eventually. I was on my way to go fetch a copy of the law. No, I'm not a total asshole. Just being a nice guy gets you nowhere so I've started giving people crap when they try to BS me.

At University I've done a basic contract rights course and I'll be completing my Labour Law module in less than a month, AWESOME!
    The way these employers use the gaps in the law to exploit their employees, ain't right. Fight them!!

3DS: 3265-6109-6138

Yeah, it is the Seller who determines the attorney, however you could come to an agreement on who to use.
    Seller's prefer their own attorneys as they can delay the transfer process if need be...

Yeah, it is the Seller who determines the attorney, however you could come to an agreement on who to use.
    Seller's prefer their own attorneys as they can delay the transfer process if need be...