Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Xbox 360 gets a hardware upgrade

That all nice and stuff Microsoft, but until you don't do something DRASTIC with the storage (ie: DVD -> BlueRay), the XB360 will start suffering hard under some of the newer titles...

So will this mean that people who don't own the new slim xbox's (like me :P) have to buy the processor separately?
    XBOX 360: Great Solstice | PC/STEAM: souluser7 | PC/XFIRE: Great.Solstice

The Legendary Troll Hunter OmegaFenix's Avatar

So if you bought a slim a few months ago (december) then what? Are they going to give me a new console and take my old one?
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

oh boy
    /starts the ps3 vs x360 vs pc vs iphone vs bb engines

Microsoft has also assured gamers that the new chip should have no compatibility issues with existing or future software, as it will “implement a latency and bandwidth that will impersonate the old system which worked with separate CPU and GPU processors”. Like DOSBox.
    Have we not learnt that emulation isn't that great ?
    // Previously known as Blind Faith or Pr⊕phet
    // Sign up to Greenman Gaming and get $2 FREE in-store credit.

I wonder if you can have your existing xbox upgraded?

Quote Originally Posted by nelwa View Post
    I strongly doubt that. I may be wrong, but as far as MS and Xbox Hardware goes, my experience is that it is either new, or it stays the way it is. We don't have technicians over here (legal ones, of course). If your Xbox breaks, you have to trade it in for a new one at M-IT in Edenvale. Repairs and upgrades for Xbox is not something that we have over here (unless that has changed in the last year).
    That's what she said.

The Dork Knight.

Have we not learnt that emulation isn't that great ?
    There is a vast difference between emulation (bad) and providing an identical interface (good).

Is it just me or does it seem like the original article was translated (badly) from another language?
    contains about 372 million transistors which are very less in comparison to modern GPUs
    will implement a latency and bandwidth that will impersonate the old system

Quote Originally Posted by nelwa View Post
    Short answer; no.

Long answer; it's no impossible but it would involve changing just about everything in your xbox which would be the same as just buying a new one.

This is quite funny. Especially since the xbox360 slims processor is allready more powerfull than the original 360. So the "old" slim 360s are being throttled to stay inline with the original. And now the even newer and better xbox is being hold back even more.

This makes me think what the new versions will be capable if one could bypass all of these limitations to it? Faster loading, smoother game play?