Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Activision Wants ModernWarfare3.com

Default Activision Wants ModernWarfare3.com

Activision want ModernWarfare3.com

This is starting to become interesting. Also, check out the PDF file on the bottom of the page, which shows the actual complaint. Not sure how they imagine they will be getting this one though. Even though it refers to their IP, someone registered that domain and it is his/her property, fair and square...
    That's what she said.

The Dork Knight.

Just trying to save some face by slamming down on people who don't like their game. To be expected from those fools, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Graal View Post
    Just trying to save some face by slamming down on people who don't like their game. To be expected from those fools, to be honest.
    Indeed. Not getting that domain earlier on was a slip up on their part.
    That's what she said.

The Dork Knight.

They really should have registered the domain earlier, but it is a pretty valid complaint. I believe that nowadays you can petition for the rights of a domain name that is in fact a trademark that you own. I think this is to stop people from registering a bunch of domains for big companies and extorting money from them if they want it. Eg, if coke didn't already have the domain coca-cola.co.za, and you register it and put up a page saying Coke, if you want this domain, you must pay us $1,000,000 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    They really should have registered the domain earlier, but it is a pretty valid complaint. I believe that nowadays you can petition for the rights of a domain name that is in fact a trademark that you own. I think this is to stop people from registering a bunch of domains for big companies and extorting money from them if they want it. Eg, if coke didn't already have the domain coca-cola.co.za, and you register it and put up a page saying Coke, if you want this domain, you must pay us $1,000,000 or something.
    I actually know of a few people who do that...but it usually backfires on them somehow. Curious to see how this one pans out.
    That's what she said.

The Dork Knight.

The complaint is legitimate, especially because the domain is being used to slander the IP that belongs to Activision
    If this domain was being used to provide legitimate information about the game, even if it was only a single line updated on a monthly basis, it would have been much harder for Activision to lodge the type of complaint that they will now succeed with

As an example, this site http://crysis2.com/ is also being squatted but provides a legitiamte tie in to the name of the intellectual property that is owned by EA, therefore "Taking It" is not really an option
    Also I don't see EA taking this type of stance against the owner of the site.

Domain Squatting is not the best way of doing this type of thing and neither is legal action.
    TBH Activision is playing a very dangerous game, they have announced that they will be basing the new title off of a Internet / Server based system and now are seemingly intent to paint a red bullseye on that system by persecuting the underdog

This matter is best handled out of the public eye
    Last edited by Xero; 18-07-2011 at 12:46 PM.

"The Only Blood Type that matters is .... Red" Zombie Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Xero View Post
    The complaint is legitimate, especially because the domain is being used to slander the IP that belongs to Activision
    If this domain was being used to provide legitimate information about the game, even if it was only a single line updated on a monthly basis, it would have been much harder for Activision to lodge the type of complaint that they will now succeed with

As an example, this site http://crysis2.com/ is also being squatted but provides a legitiamte tie in to the name of the intellectual property that is owned by EA, therefore "Taking It" is not really an option
    Also I don't see EA taking this type of stance against the owner of the site.

Domain Squatting is not the best way of doing this type of thing and neither is legal action.
    TBH Activision is playing a very dangerous game, they have announced that they will be basing the new title off of a Internet / Server based system and now are seemingly intent to paint a red bullseye on that system by persecuting the underdog

This matter is best handled out of the public eye
    Agreed dude.

They should definitely win this one. There's no way that there isn't a law somewhere preventing this. And keeping this in the public eye would be a bit unprofessional from these companies..We don't want to see their internal battles, we just want their games.

This whole thing between the two companies and/or playergroups is becoming a bit overboard now, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by to0kenZA View Post
    This whole thing between the two companies and/or playergroups is becoming a bit overboard now, in my opinion.
    The rivalry between the playerbases are still understandable, but the fact that the CEOs of both companies are just as bad has me really ticked off.

Quote Originally Posted by Graal View Post
    The rivalry between the playerbases are still understandable, but the fact that the CEOs of both companies are just as bad has me really ticked off.
    I kinda like it.
    Some day soon, we might even see them duke it out (fake as it is) on WWE!!!

WHEWT!!!

I really hope that Activision gets the domain. In fact the whole domain business is just sucky. There's a domain that I really want but it's been parked for years now without being used at all. I even contacted the guy who owns the domain and he just never replied.

For Activision it's much worse. Sheesh, a site that actually goes against the game. Just plain wrong.