Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gaming laptops are almost viable

Default Gaming laptops are almost viable

Gaming laptops are almost viable

Gaming laptops have long been a luxury item for the more well off gamers, though the industry is waking up to demand

I will agree that a laptop is a must-have for a lan enthusiast. The price and reliability has always been the deciding factor in purchasing a computer over a laptop for me. Hopefully the prices will be able to drop throughout the year as competition increases.

Well technically speaking, Gaming laptops are still incredibly overpriced for what they offer.
    I built myself a lan rig that runs any and everything maxed out without any lag ( Sharkbait can confirm as he has seen it )
    It was still almost R6000 cheaper than the cheapest proper gaming laptop and it had much better specs.
    Eat - Sleep - Overclock - Repeat

The Lenovo Laptop reviewed looks pretty amazing for R9500. I am also looking at buying a gaming laptop next year. It would be amazing to be able to afford an Alienware or Asus rig but unforuntaly the SA import duties are screwing us over. I saw that the ALienware MX14 is about R7000 in the US. Here it is closer to R15000. :-/

Core2Duo E8400 3Ghz, ASUS P5Q/SE MOBO, 3Gigs or RAM (800Mhz), Asus ATI RADEON 4850 512MB, 2X 500GB HDDs, Windows 7 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    The Lenovo Laptop reviewed looks pretty amazing for R9500. I am also looking at buying a gaming laptop next year. It would be amazing to be able to afford an Alienware or Asus rig but unforuntaly the SA import duties are screwing us over. I saw that the ALienware MX14 is about R7000 in the US. Here it is closer to R15000. :-/
    That's because you can't get a proper gaming laptop for below R16 000 in Sa, the Lenovo in the review is not a proper gaming laptop...
    Eat - Sleep - Overclock - Repeat

Oh man, i totally overpaid for my stupid ASUS N61 JV series notebook last November Primarily purpose is for work, and any gaming capabilities were meant to be a bonus.

That Lenovo Y570 doesnt look too shabby, and the Mecer P170HM is even better! Oh well, u lose some, u lose some...
    Last edited by StrontiumDog; 29-08-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StrontiumDog View Post
    Oh man, i totally overpaid for my stupid ASUS N61 JV series notebook last November Primarily purpose is for work, and any gaming capabilities were meant to be a bonus.

That Lenovo Y570 doesnt look too shabby, and the Mecer P170HM is even better! Oh well, u lose some, u lose some...
    Shame man! Dunno what I'm gonna do when I want to buy next year. Hopefully I can find someone going to US to bring one back for me! (International warranty?)

Core2Duo E8400 3Ghz, ASUS P5Q/SE MOBO, 3Gigs or RAM (800Mhz), Asus ATI RADEON 4850 512MB, 2X 500GB HDDs, Windows 7 Ultimate

Man, I just don't know about gaming laptops in general. It just seems that for the amount of money you spend on them, the desktop you could've had for the same value is significantly stronger. Also these gaming laptops likely weigh a ton hurting the portability of these huge computers.

Quote Originally Posted by anton123 View Post
    Man, I just don't know about gaming laptops in general. It just seems that for the amount of money you spend on them, the desktop you could've had for the same value is significantly stronger. Also these gaming laptops likely weigh a ton hurting the portability of these huge computers.
    This. Anything with a monitor large enough for gaming, will be too heavy.. This kills the idea way before we get to the price vs. performance issues and comparing specs and performance with desktop counterparts. It's a simple choice for me..

Quote Originally Posted by anton123 View Post
    Ultimately it is a compromise. A "gaming" laptop spec laptop is hardly ever gonna be first choice for games that require high end CPU or GPU capability. Sometimes u r willing to pay the premium to get high end specs, or u might compromise on specs for the sake of decent power and less of a dent on your wallet.

A desktop gaming rig will usually far exceed laptops in terms of value for money. It depends on your priorities