Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Visceral Studios Melbourne may be shutting down

Default Visceral Studios Melbourne may be shutting down

Visceral Studios Melbourne may be shutting down

Come Monday, part of the Dead Space team may be no more

Any idea what they were working on? Duke Nukem Forever 2 perhaps?
    Couscous; the food so nice they named it twice

Surely after 3 years it must be close to finished. It feels like such a waste. It's 3 years where a large group of people worked very hard on a project that won't see the light of day. I hope that the unfinished project makes its way into the world so that if there's potential it can be finished by the public.

I feel for the poor studio... and their families and the ghost of their game. May it rest in peace. Amen.

The anonymous source claims that Soderland didn’t feel the game would be profitable, and decided to close the studio and bin the project.
    What a moron! So because you "FEEL" the game wouldn't be profitable, you allow three years of a company's efforts and ambitions to go to ruin regardless of the fact that they have time and time again proven themselves?!

To me, that is a waste of money and resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    What a moron! So because you "FEEL" the game wouldn't be profitable, you allow three years of a company's efforts and ambitions to go to ruin regardless of the fact that they have time and time again proven themselves?!

To me, that is a waste of money and resources.
    Ly, tough times = tough choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Fivel View Post
    Ly, tough times = tough choices.
    I don't see tough choices, or any mention that "tough times" are to blame, only bad choices by new management based on feelings.

Why not dip your toes into the market, advertise a little, see what the reaction is before binning an entire project and closing a studio? Surely that's the professional way to do it? Previous management obviously had faith in the game.

must have been too much contracting...
    // Previously known as Blind Faith or Pr⊕phet
    // Sign up to Greenman Gaming and get $2 FREE in-store credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    I don't see tough choices, or any mention that "tough times" are to blame, only bad choices by new management based on feelings.

Why not dip your toes into the market, advertise a little, see what the reaction is before binning an entire project and closing a studio? Surely that's the professional way to do it? Previous management obviously had faith in the game.
    Article hints that the new guy thought the game would not be profitable. In the economic climate we are in, I can understand why this choice may be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Fivel View Post
    Article hints that the new guy thought the game would not be profitable. In the economic climate we are in, I can understand why this choice may be made.
    That was his opinion and I'd like to know what he based that opinion on.

Three years' worth of funding was allocated to that IP. That's a lot of time, a lot of money and considering the average time it takes to make a game is around four years, it's safe to say it was 75% complete. To throw an entire IP away and close a studio down without even testing the waters is just ridiculous.

I don't see how that can ever be considered a profitable decision! At best it's cutting your losses, at worst it's giving up on something that could very well at least bring in enough money to pay for SOME of the years spent on development.

EA is NOT a bankrupt publisher, they have more than enough money to "go out on a limb."

I maintain: bad business decision.

Look around you, read the press, businesses are cutting thousands of jobs i.e. potential people who will buy you product. As a gamer this is sad news, as someone who has to drive costs down and profits up in a business I can relate to the decision that was made.

To invest more in a game that may not make you any money is not a smart move. Sure we don't have all the info, so you and I can continue to speculate all we like