Thread: gpu have peel me off cover ontop of cooling cover ?

Default gpu have peel me off cover ontop of cooling cover ?

just peeled something large off my 8800gt in my other box which seems been peeled off as you get it. it's large plastic film that covers the whole covering thing that covers the gpu. small edge where you can start peeling.

this standard for those 8x00's and or ati ?

maybe now it will run cooler...
    // Previously known as Blind Faith or Pr⊕phet
    // Sign up to Greenman Gaming and get $2 FREE in-store credit.

No need for concern. It is the same thing that covers your newly bought Cellphone, it is just there to prevent smudges.

A few replies on a hardware forum where the same question was asked.
    Yes, it only serves to protect the beautifully shiny heatsink during production and transit, once you begin to use the card it should be removed or it would hinder heat dissipation
    Yeh removing it would not only make your card look better but allow it to function properly

Quote Originally Posted by Zomosa View Post
    No need for concern. It is the same thing that covers your newly bought Cellphone, it is just there to prevent smudges.

A few replies on a hardware forum where the same question was asked.
    Smooooother~ copper = better heat dissipation

lol, well after a long time I only removed it now o well, aftermath would be better though...
    // Previously known as Blind Faith or Pr⊕phet
    // Sign up to Greenman Gaming and get $2 FREE in-store credit.

Those covers can become unstuck and lodged in fans under the right circumstances
    I've seen it happen only once, but it is better that it be removed

"The Only Blood Type that matters is .... Red" Zombie Proverb

My Radeon 4850 512mb was overheating like a mofo.
    I took the heatsink off, cleaned all the fins, thermal paste and then I saw this plastic sleeve over the heatsink.
    I could clearly see it had some burn marks on it. I peeled it off, replaced the thermal paste and the max temp dropped by 20 degrees.
    But not too long afterwards the temps shot through the roof again maxing at around 100 degrees with a record high of 107.
    This eventually had it's toll on the poor card and it is no longer with us today.

But what I want to know is this.
    This thing ships with a plastic sleeve at the bottom of the heatsink.
    And you not supposed to take the heatsink off to avoid voiding the warranty.

So why do they do it?

No Idea
    I think it may be to preserve the contact surface when the card is manufactured (Not all cards are manufactured, branded or packaged at the same factory) as well as during shipping

"The Only Blood Type that matters is .... Red" Zombie Proverb

Someone upload us a photo of what this "sticker" looks like ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pr⊕phet View Post
    lol, well after a long time I only removed it now o well, aftermath would be better though...
    I sometimes forget to take off the film on stuff but luckily for me it eventually peels off without any incident.

Ichigo Ftw

All my cards that have huge fans or heat sinks on have the the protective film on and almost all of the cards tell you to remove it before use, so taking it off is good... but its usually on the outside only... I dont recall ever getting plastic on the bottom of the heat sink as Frederick has said that must have been a manufacturer error there.

FX-8350 | 16GB DDR3-1866 RAM | Corsair H80i | 24TB