Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Video games don't actually make you smarter (maybe)

Default Video games don't actually make you smarter (maybe)

Video games don't actually make you smarter (maybe)

Study published which claims previous studies are all flawed

I take your article and raise you another :P

Online Gamers crack aids puzzle

http://www.news24.com/SciTech/News/O...uzzle-20110918

It's just when a "comments" section becomes available that gamers reduce to brainless idiots...

MyGaming Comp Authoritah sycogrim's Avatar

I think that is why we refer to gaming as a form of mindless fun, or time killers... Lets be honest, time feels like it's dragging when you're forced to learn (majority of the time), but when you have some understanding of how a game works and you know pretty much the in's and out's of them, then it just becomes an accelerator to time for our minds.

Those studies are always BS and they should be conducted internationally, therefore allowing you to obtain better results etc...
    All it takes is ONE BAD DAY tO ReDuCe the SaNesT Man Alive To LuNaCy. That's How Far The World Is From Where I am. JUST ONE BAD DAY

Blog Entries . YouTube Channel and Playlists

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFox
    I'm gonna tolerate and love...........THE SHIT OUTTA YOU
    Shadowfox's response to me in my failed attempts to annoy him

What!? We possess the skill to solve puzzles with the use of wormholes, we know what and what not to do in a zombie apocalypse and are constantly honing our combat skills through simulations.

Quote Originally Posted by TBlaar View Post
    It's just when a "comments" section becomes available that gamers reduce to brainless idiots...
    +1 ... although, that is not the case only with gamers

No guts, no glory, no brain, same story.

6th circle of Hell (I think that's boredom)

Lol I love these tit for tat studies. One says we are immensely intelligent the other we are mindless killing machines .-. Why can't they just accept that gaming is a time killer and nothing more. I mean hell we constantly hear about how games make people violent then 2 months later someone disproves the theory then 2 months later someone disproves the theory that disproved the previous theory >.<

I mean seriously O.o. It's becoming staler than 6 month old bread. Then every time they conduct one of these studies they always have some new justification. Unfortunately there isn't a very unbiased way in which one can determine how intelligent a player is, nor whether they are going to become murderers and rapists after playing a game (still think that theory is bullshit baffles brains. I mean really who is gonna go out and say "2000 points to the one that can run over the prostitute with a garbage truck"?

Quote Originally Posted by will1023631 View Post
    Lol I love these tit for tat studies. One says we are immensely intelligent the other we are mindless killing machines .-. Why can't they just accept that gaming is a time killer and nothing more. I mean hell we constantly hear about how games make people violent then 2 months later someone disproves the theory then 2 months later someone disproves the theory that disproved the previous theory >.<

I mean seriously O.o. It's becoming staler than 6 month old bread. Then every time they conduct one of these studies they always have some new justification. Unfortunately there isn't a very unbiased way in which one can determine how intelligent a player is, nor whether they are going to become murderers and rapists after playing a game (still think that theory is bullshit baffles brains. I mean really who is gonna go out and say "2000 points to the one that can run over the prostitute with a garbage truck"?
    +1 all these studies are waste of time and money and that is the only common thing it has with gaming.

Gaming definitely does not make you dumb.

I also don't think it make you smart. Might improve you reflexes and strategic reasoning a little some times, but definitely cant replace studies with gaming.

I learned that the hard way :P

This article kinda reminds me of the Zuma trial:
    Its pretty obvious that gaming possibly could have some long-lasting positive effects on intellegence and some other stuff.
    All these guys are doing is saying that previous research on the matter is flawed in the processes followed and cannot be considered as sources of reliable information.
    Gamers are actually such complex beings that research has not yet been able to accurately find out how our minds operate...
    Nothing is permitted, everything is true.