Thread: Two Questions

Default Two Questions

I have two quesions: First, what is a display driver and second, what Processor can I get that costs under R.3000 and does better than a dual core Pentium that runs at 3.2 GHz

Question 1 = Google is your friend
    Question 2 = i5 + motherboard
    .... wow....

Quote Originally Posted by crashdan View Post
    Agreed there, don't mean to slate the oke. But is this what life has come to, where we ask first and wait rather than research ourselves then ask?

But anyway, can get a decent i5 and mainboard for that price, approx. R1500ea.
    I agree with crashdan

I found this cool site the other day which would handle the first question... Don't take offence or anything, but I've been waiting for a while to use it now and even though it's been said already, I think this way is cooler.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+a+display+driver%3F

No guts, no glory, no brain, same story.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdan View Post
    Thanx dude.. I think.

I know nothing about computers and when I search on Google they use words like clock speed, GPU and I have no iddea what that knda stuff means

The hardest part of telling someone to Google Something is that the person you are saying that to might lack the skill to find or understand a specific topic enough to search effectively for it as well as possibly running into a more technical piece of information when they DO find it

Display Driver:

A display driver is the driver that makes it possible for your computer to use your video card. This is a very important piece of software to have, because without it, your video card is not being 100 percent utilized. By default, Windows can use most video cards a little bit, but cannot take full advantage of them without the proper drivers. Computers without proper drivers will have much lower resolution than they would with the proper drivers, and will often display graphics poorly, slowing down games.

CPU:
    In regards to your second question, when upgrading yoru CPU you would have to look at upgrading your Motherboard as well, new generation CPU's are not compatible with older Motherboards

You can look at:
    Core i3 + Motherboard
    Core i5 + Motherboard

http://www.computersonly.co.za/upgra...tegoryid=40336

Based on what you've told us and the level of technical ability is on your side, have a PC technican do the installation for you

"The Only Blood Type that matters is .... Red" Zombie Proverb

For now I will answer the first question only (in extension to Xero's response).
    [This is how I always explain it to my pupils]

In hardware, there are a great many differences between two seemingly identical pieces of equipment.
    You might be holding them in your hand and they look the same. Feel the same. Smell the same.
    To a computer, however, it looks a lot different.

The two devices might be identical, but for all the computer "sees" - The one in your left hand might be a CD player, and the one in your right hand might be a cassette recorder.

Computers need to know how to "talk". Not just to each other. But also to their own parts.
    These differences that I mentioned in two similar devices makes it impossible for the computer to simply "know" how to talk to all of it's parts.

That is where software comes in. Software allows us to "talk" to our computer, and for it to "talk" back at us.
    But software goes even further. Software gives all of the separate pieces in our computers, the ability to talk to each other.
    The software acts as a translator.
    Translating between human, component, and all other needed languages all at once.

But even then - some devices "talk" in strange and advanced languages. Not all Operating Systems (like Windows) has all the languages right off the bat. It would be an impossible task for Microsoft (Windows' creators) to manage all these "languages".

So - if your device uses some sort of "advanced language" to make it better, faster, greater, and so forth - it needs to have its own driver.
    A driver is simply - a manual.
    A manual for the Operating System. To show it (and thus by extension, you and the rest of your PC) HOW TO TALK TO THIS DEVICE PROPERLY

This is the very key of what a driver is, in terms of computing. It is a manual that describes to the system how it should properly be used and communicated with.
    Keeping these driver packages up to date helps sort out previous problems, improve performance, and sometimes even add capabilities that were not there before.

I hope this clarifies to you - in a practical and understandable way - what drivers are and why they're important.