Thread: MW3 will have dedicated UNRANKED servers

Default MW3 will have dedicated UNRANKED servers

found this article on the net:

It may be time to temper your excitement regarding dedicated servers in Modern Warfare 3, as creative strategist Robert Bowling indicated in a PC FAQ that only public servers would feature standard ranking and unlocks. The dedicated servers will be completely in the control of the host, but will lack the weapon progression and unlocks you would receive from playing on a public server.

Bowling summed up the design choice mantra on Twitter. “Public is about progression, private is about control.” The last part is accurate, as dedicated server hosts can control what is already unlocked for players joining the game. This means players who haven’t yet unlocked a single item would still have access to whatever the host has set for the players.

This may be disappointing for PC fans, but console players, who are obviously limited to peer hosted games, won’t notice the difference. Still, for those looking to get past the potentially reoccurring troubles with public servers and P2P, this is likely a blow to their confidence.

The FAQ also covers the specific graphical enhancements for PC players. Bowling provides the list:

You have a lot of graphic options, including enabling and disabling of new rendering features such as SSAO, you’ll also be able to modify DOF, Shadows, Anti-Aliasing, Texture Resolution and more.

Modern Warfare 3 will also have LAN support and a maximum of 18 players (for Ground War) in online play. Bowling goes on to detail the matchmaking system, server filtering, and the ability to find other players playing Spec Ops as well.

It’s clear that Infinity Ward wants to please their PC fans with an abundance of these options, but I’m pretty sure dedicated servers that offer the standard Modern Warfare experience is really where the community’s hearts lie.
    source: http://geek.pikimal.com/2011/10/22/m...unranked-only/

whats this means

1. MW3 will have UNRANKED dedicated servers with everything unlocked and NO levelling up system, its under admin control (unranked AKA private JUST LIKE MW2)

2. If you want to rank up you will HAVE to use the LOBBY system aka P2P IWNET

3. Robert Bowling has mislead the entire COD community, big mistake!

so what is the difference between MW2 and MW3 ON PC?

in MW2 you could search a game type, end up in the lobby and hopefully get a game...
    you could also create your OWN private game and send invites to friends over steam and they could hopefully join you.

The difference here is (from reading this article and reading the official FAQ at IW) that a servers browser will now be in place to lookup all "private" aka "dedicated unranked" servers....just wow, cant say i didnt see this coming...
    "Oh jirre Bakgat nou wat?"

yup, always a catch. This, coupled with the "no lean" is a case of ignorance and lazy devs.

This is a bit of a fail....I am not canceling my order though. On the plus side, I can start using the AK47 from the first game with an unranked server

Can we set our max FPS?

No. Setting Max FPS is not a user controllable option.
    http://community.callofduty.com/thread/4682

This is going to be a problem....
    Last edited by Kyubi_ZA; 23-10-2011 at 06:29 AM.

1 step forward 2 steps back... YES! We have Dedicated Servers. NO! You cant Rank up on them. Whats the point then?

Finding games with IW-P2P-SKYNET system was a nightmare, search for a game, join lobby, wait up to 10 minutes just to have 2 people leave and you are thrown back into a Q.
    Last edited by Glordit; 23-10-2011 at 07:40 AM.

Well not going to say I didn't expect exactly this, infact some of you asked me about it and this is what I told you would happen :/
    The question now remains to be asked, is ranking more important than Dedicated servers

If we provide public servers for players with everything unlocked, does this supercede the need for ranking?

"The Only Blood Type that matters is .... Red" Zombie Proverb

Still doesn't say if you need to be online to access the LAN though. If you need to be, then it's not true LAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Xero View Post
    Well not going to say I didn't expect exactly this, infact some of you asked me about it and this is what I told you would happen :/
    The question now remains to be asked, is ranking more important than Dedicated servers

If we provide public servers for players with everything unlocked, does this supercede the need for ranking?
    once again Xero they pull of another stunt like MW2

thankfully i couldnt really care much for it this time around

JUST a BIG LOL
    Last edited by OGBuzz; 23-10-2011 at 03:53 PM.
    "Oh jirre Bakgat nou wat?"

If by dedicated they mean we can host them then it is still rubbish as SA max upload speed is 1mb/s :\
    "multiplatform"... the word that ruins games for PC gamers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pr⊕phet
    "How boss is this ?" what kinda slang is that