Thread: Xbox Live account hacked? Unauthorised transactions on your account? Lookie here :)

Angry Xbox Live account hacked? Unauthorised transactions on your account? Lookie here :)

[04.11.2011]
    This morning I popped into my Live account, only to see my gamerpoints balance standing at 10... a bit of "huh? What??" and after looking at my transaction history, I see:

PREMIUM GOLD PACK Game Consumable 2011/11/04
    PREMIUM GOLD JUMBO Game Consumable 2011/11/04
    After a lot of searching I got to the Microsoft live chat support, and they gave me this number to call:
    Xbox Customer Support 0800 991 550

That's how far I got so far, apparently 8:15 (and neither is 8:40, or 9:05. Ah! Office hours Monday-Friday: 10:00-18:00) isn't office hours yet, so I'll update this post as I get along... I looked on other countries forums, hope the "6 week account lockdown while investigations proceed" rumour isn't true!

[UPDATE] Ok, here are the facts:
    • I called Xbox Customer Support 0800 991 550. Kept holding for an operator as all the automated options were for hardware queries.
    • Very helpful guy - helped me through a few security verification questions.
    • My Microsoft points were used to purchase FIFA content (I wast told this is happening more frequently)
    • Only FINANCIAL transactions will be locked on my account while they're investigating (CC and Redeeming vouchers/codes). I'll still be able to use my gamertag for all other purposes.
    • I might be kicked off my account for an hour or two at some point during this investigation, after which I'll get a password reset request. (I wish, see 28.11.2011 update!)
    • The investigation will take up to 25 days, after which I'll receive a full report on their findings, and a refund.

Man, am I glad I removed my CC details from my account a few months ago, so the hackers could only use what MS Points I had on there.

PS, the search function on this forum was a *!t%# to find! lol

[UPDATE - 26.11.2011 @ 13:04]
    It's been 22 days, and when I tried to play AOE Online this morning, I couldn't log in via my LIVE account. My account's been locked down since this morning. So much for "an hour or two".

[UPDATE - 28.11.2011 @ 15:50]
    I've been unable to log into my account for the past 3 days, and since I was told this would last for just an hour or two, I didn't bother calling MS until today when I saw a thread where a few people had a similar problem with signing in. A very friendly Irish chap helped me out when I called 0800 991 550, but in my case it WAS due to the ongoing investigation, and my account will be fully locked down until it's concluded. BUMMER!

[UPDATE - 06.12.2011]
    Sorted! My points have been refunded, and I can log into my account again. I've also been sent an email outlining further steps. PS, make sure they have the correct alternative email to send the report to!
    Last edited by gennath; 06-12-2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Progress update

Sorry mate. This strikes a bit of fear into all of us. If they do lock you down for six weeks then you can create a new account and take advantage of the 1 month trial (not much of a consolation, I know, especially with December around the corner. That's usually a prime time for gaming)

Sorry to hear about that dude. I would have thought that if someone had bought gold subs on your account, it would be allocated to your profile. Can you bus subs on xbl and just get the codes?

Quote Originally Posted by mew92 View Post
    ...especially with December around the corner. That's usually a prime time for gaming...
    I know right?! I don't want to play my new xmas NFS Run and/or Forza 4 on a different friggin account!