Thread: USB write protect

Default USB write protect

So i bought a sandisk cruzer blade and been using it for bout 2 months then all of a sudden when i plug it in my pc i cant copy or delete anything says its write protected, so i google how to remove it, no luck the solutions dont work does anybody have a working solution?

Flash drive must have gone bad

Try doing a low level format using HDD Low Level Format Tool

Quote Originally Posted by psychogenik View Post
    Flash drive must have gone bad

Try doing a low level format using HDD Low Level Format Tool
    Does this work cause i have tons of flash drives that have done this and just through them out cause they useless. When that happens.

FX-8350 | 16GB DDR3-1866 RAM | Corsair H80i | 24TB

Quote Originally Posted by ZAP_Tech View Post
    Does this work cause i have tons of flash drives that have done this and just through them out cause they useless. When that happens.
    Acording to this page:
    Low-level formatting is the process of outlining the positions of the tracks and sectors on the hard disk, and writing the control structures that define where the tracks and sectors are. This is often called a "true" formatting operation, because it really creates the physical format that defines where the data is stored on the disk. The first time that a low-level format ("LLF") is performed on a hard disk, the disk's platters start out empty. That's the last time the platters will be empty for the life of the drive. If an LLF is done on a disk with data on it already, the data is permanently erased
    Depending on how badly corrupted your flash drive is and assuming that the problem isn't hardware related, you might be able to fix it with a low-level format. Obviously this would remove all the data on the drive. Well since it's not in working order, you don't have anything to lose.

Bear in mind that this wont "fix/repair" your device, per se, but simply "reset" it - or at least attempt to.

Also do a google search on other low-level format programs if you'd like - there are many more than the one I linked to.
    Last edited by psychogenik; 07-12-2011 at 02:37 AM.

What you could also do is attempt to fix file system errors and bad sectors.

Run command prompt and enter "chkdsk /f (drive letter)"

Example:
    chkdsk /f E:

Assuming that the drive letter is E

If asked the following "Convert lost chains to files <Y/N>?" then press Y and hit enter.

If neither of these two methods work it's unlikey that you'll get your flash drive to work. Buy a new one and don't forget to use the Safely Remove Hardware feature.

Ahh will post back with results one of the supposed fixes were plug in a XP machine and you could format no luck there so ill try both when i get it back

It didnt work for me, but i took a shot at it... No point in not trying was going to throw the flash a way either way. Thanks though.

FX-8350 | 16GB DDR3-1866 RAM | Corsair H80i | 24TB