Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Architecture Portfolio

Default Architecture Portfolio

So, thankfully, this gap year is drawing to a close and with that I'm working away at my portfolio to be handed in with my Architecture application at UCT for next year.

Anyway, I'm kinda experiencing a creativity block regarding two of the tasks that are dependant on each other. The first involves me making a simple drawing of a "manufactured object," paying special attention to the detailing and properties (such as coarseness) of said item. Now that's all very well and good, except that for the second task I need to create a pattern incorporating said manufactured object that can be printed on fabric. And that's where I go WTF?

Any ideas? Thought I'd throw it out here and hope for the best. Maybe someone has something interesting in mind. Obviously it needs to be something I should have lying around or can acquire easily, as well as apply some abstractness to when it comes to incorporating it into a pattern. As a result of the pattern, said object will have to be fairly simple. Too much detailing isn't going to work in task 2

Thanks!
    Last edited by Lydon; 20-07-2009 at 10:52 PM.
    PSN: LydonMcG

is this like technical drawing? We had to cut open something and then draw the cross section at 1:1 scale. Can't remember what i did. It had a spring in it :P

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby_Doo View Post
    is this like technical drawing? We had to cut open something and then draw the cross section at 1:1 scale. Can't remember what i did. It had a spring in it :P
    No, not quite. It's more of a sketch than an accurate drawing. Architecture at UCT and most universities is art-based, hence the portfolio consisting of art-based tasks instead of technical tasks like accurate constructions etc.

Hmmm, had to sketch stuff too, was terrible at it. Give us some examples of what you thinking about.
    Last edited by Scooby_Doo; 20-07-2009 at 11:04 PM.

Eish, sounds much more different than Civil Engineering ........
    - There is no proof any of us are even alive -
    - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby_Doo View Post
    Give us some examples of what you thinking about.
    That's the problem...I'm stumped I've got very clear ideas when it comes to what I want to do regarding the other 4 tasks, but task 1 just isn't happening and task 2 hasn't begun as a result of it either...

Quote Originally Posted by Mephisto_Helix View Post
    Eish, sounds much more different than Civil Engineering ........
    As many architects will tell you...you can see engineers designed many buildings here in the 70's. Take a look at an apartment block from that era and you'll stop questioning why it's so boxy and boring

MyGaming Comp Authoritah sycogrim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lydon View Post
    So, thankfully, this gap year is drawing to a close and with that I'm working away at my portfolio to be handed in with my Architecture application at UCT for next year.

Anyway, I'm kinda experiencing a creativity block regarding two of the tasks that are dependant on each other. The first involves me making a simple drawing of a "manufactured object," paying special attention to the detailing and properties (such as coarseness) of said item. Now that's all very well and good, except that for the second task I need to create a pattern incorporating said manufactured object that can be printed on fabric. And that's where I go WTF?

Any ideas? Thought I'd throw it out here and hope for the best. Maybe someone has something interesting in mind. Obviously it needs to be something I should have lying around or can acquire easily, as well as apply some abstractness to when it comes to incorporating it into a pattern. As a result of the pattern, said object will have to be fairly simple. Too much detailing isn't going to work in task 2

Thanks!
    Build a bridge from your portfolio of paper then hand it to them to read as they are going to study the structure anyway why not read it at the same time lol...
    All it takes is ONE BAD DAY tO ReDuCe the SaNesT Man Alive To LuNaCy. That's How Far The World Is From Where I am. JUST ONE BAD DAY

Blog Entries . YouTube Channel and Playlists

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFox
    I'm gonna tolerate and love...........THE SHIT OUTTA YOU
    Shadowfox's response to me in my failed attempts to annoy him

The Legendary Troll Hunter OmegaFenix's Avatar

Sketch a Microchip and then the pc board it slots into.... My cearivity is limited to writing and games. Sorry.
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaFenix22 View Post
    Sketch a Microchip and then the pc board it slots into.... My cearivity is limited to writing and games. Sorry.
    Not a bad idea actually...

The Legendary Troll Hunter OmegaFenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lydon View Post
    Not a bad idea actually...
    Well if nothing else it will be original everbody else will probably sketch gears or some thing like that.
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"