Thread: Rate the Last Game You Played

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Achievements Taking The Plunge
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. Threadkiller - Got the last word in.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012)

"Released 7 years after its predecessor, Need for Speed: Most Wanted makes another appearance to the franchise, but, is it better and does it deliver more than its its 7-year-old counterpart?"

Story

Need for Speed has never really been a game about a [proper] story, until Need for Speed: Underground hit the market, and since then things have changed, making titles of the franchise more involving to the player.

However, with this current installment, the successor to Need for Speed: Most Wanted, released in 2005, things have taken a turn. You're a racer, racing to become the Most Wanted racer in the city of Fairhaven. Racing games don't typically have a story behind them; they're typically a completionists game or those just look for an adrenaline-filled, fun rush. However, it's predecessor [released in 2005] had a story - seemingly involving, since they give life to the characters against whom you eventually race after a certain number of activities completed.

Gameplay

Racing in various kinds of cars is always fun. The trouble is, there are so many to find and unlock, you'll likely not have time to want to find everyone and test them all out. You are given a very big variety to choose from but it seems wasteful [almost]. Vehicle handling is decent [no complaints]. The map could've been a little bit more intuitive - felt very "last-minute-made". Jumping from one car to another is fun regardless where you're driving (unless being chased by the cops), but even then, if your car is smashed up, find another one on your travels; hop in and speed off/away.

When you're being chased by the cops it's always fun. There was one thing I noticed [being curious] -- I had noticed the 5-0 like to speed alongside you and slam into your side trying to throw you off, or cause you to crash. So, what I did was, I waited until that moment, then hit the brakes hard, and guess what I discovered, something truly amazing/interesting/hilarious; when you hit the brakes the cops do too! No no no! I mean, the hit the brakes the same time you do. As if to say their braking is perfectly synched with yours. Now how can the cop know exactly when I'm gonna brake? It's as if I'm driving both cars simultaneously. It's unbelievable.

Now! Onto the one thing I definitely hate. A terrible BLACK mark again this game and its developer.
    This. Is. Need. for. Speed. Why the f*ck do you have a motherdamn Crash Cam in a Need for Speed game. This. Isn't. Burnout.!
    This is the MOST frustrating implementation in the game! I forgave not having the ability to modify one's car; and all that's available is a colour change which is pointless unless your car's banged up. Some races can also be difficult, having you repeat them multiple times. Some races -- you have to finish the race in a specific lane in order to win, choosing the wrong lane WILL result in failure!

After race, you cannot immediately enter your 'Menu' screen -- you have to wait until the game shows you all sorts of random sh*t [upgrades installed after a race]for 3-5 seconds before you can proceed to pause it!

Sound

I must admit - the sound in this game is good. Cars sound almost similar to those of the real cars, if not the exact same [some cars were unfamiliar, so I don't know their actual sounds]. Most other sound effects sound relatively pitch-perfect to that of what they're supposed to sound like.

Graphics

The game is visually very pleasing to look at. The game makes use of the Chameleon [modified] engine.
    Haven't noticed any cheap textures anywhere, so good mark for Criterion there.

Voice Over/Acting

Not much to say about it. You don't expect top quality or any at all. Cops chatter was convincing enough.
    However, that lady who speaks during the intro and during outro has a really SEXY voice!

Bugs

Didn't notice many, but the Crash Cam was some times buggy (being indecisive as to whether classifying a certain bump or knock a crash).

Overall

If you're looking to invest in a racing game, you can opt for Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012). I'd wait until it becomes cheap on the PS Store or digital download to PC before making that purchase. IMHO.
    Last edited by Hagan; 26-01-2015 at 11:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Dead Rising 2

Thank goodness I got it free with Games With Gold. Game play is repetitive and gets boring. AI team mates are incredibly stupid. Time limits on the missions don't really allow for exploration. The guidance arrow is also very annoying.

Its fun for a "put it in and play and not really think" game, but gets tiresome quickly.

6/10

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Far Cry 3
    8/10
    Watch for crocs and sharks when going for a swim on a hot day

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. Threadkiller - Got the last word in.

TOM CLANCY'S
    SPLINTER CELL: CONVICTION (PC)

Story

[8.5/10]

In this installment - Sam Fisher's past is revealed to him. From knowledge of his daughter to the best friend he murdered and more.

[First few seconds are a bit choppy - suspect it's the conversion app]

Gameplay

[8/10]

I have only minor complaints regarding gameplay.

When you're in cover -- you cannot move around corners since the button/key is being held down.
    You have to first let go of the button or key to stop yourself from taking cover, then proceed to walk [crouched] around a corner, and depress and hold the button/key again to cling onto the wall. Game can run very choppy at times - especially when the are lots of AI and things happening on screen.

Using a keyboard - the movement controls aren't so friendly, IMO. You have to "Toggle" running and walking, as apposed to just simply press/pressing <and holding> Shift to run. In no way does the game feel sluggish, and although I say Sprinting, it's more like a jog. Sam Fisher is getting old, so I'll assume that running isn't the easiest thing in the world to do.

The game has a detection notifier which informs you if you're being seen or not. If it's white, you're in the line of site of someone, or someone has noticed you, but not sure of if they've seen you or not. When it's red you've been detected. You can make you way to shadows of try and break line-of-site, which doesn't always work - as the enemy will follow you [carefully], and attempt to kill you from cover.

Shadows are one of the best sources of cover. When your screen turns from colour to black and black and white - you're hidden.

You have a variety of weapons and gadgets to choose from in order to eliminate the enemies: from a silenced pistol to a shotgun and a silenced assault rifle - and many more.

The cutscenes are very cinematic, as the camera makes some impressive maneuvering around Sam and whomever he is interrogating.

Interrogations are fun to perform, as you are given a space in which to perform many kinds of interrogative beatdowns, depending on what [breakable object you have at your disposal].

Enemies can be taken down in a variety of ways: from melee attacks, to gunshots to the body and even tosses from a ledge, windowsill or down a flight of stairs.

Controls

[7/10]

You can play using either the keyboard or controller, but I'd advise using the controller -- after having experienced the game twice using one of each for each session, I found it more comfortable and convenient to use the controller. The only problem with using a controller is that there is no aim-assist, which made things a little more difficult, but nothing very game-changing - most of my shots were still mostly on target.

Sound

[7/10]

As you'd expect a gun to sound that's how they sound. Grenades exploding near or far from you sound relative to that. I especially love the sound the Sonar Goggles makes - so covert. All sound are good, and I have no complaints.

Graphics

[8.9 10]

Visually the game is very good-looking. All textures are neatly polished and well done - expect for maybe the by-standing world textures which won't be stared at. But, overall, the game is visually very pleasing.

Voice acting

[9.5/10]

Of course, the re-use of Michael Ironside's voice for Sam came as no surprise to be top quality. Other voices like Grim [Anna Grimsdottir] voice actress also played a convincing role as she did in previous installments, the same for Lambert [Irving Lambert]. Enemies repetitive dialogue can become annoying and does now and then lack in believability.

Bugs

If there were any, I didn't notice. The game is well polished and allow little to be desired.

Overall

TOM CLANCY'S

SPLINTER CELL: CONVICTION

An awesome game! It's definitely worth a play to any fan of the franchise or anyone looking to play a decent 3rd person action/drama.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Saints Row 4
    I mainly got this game to pass some time before GTA 5 comes out and it fulfilled its purpose. I enjoyed SR 3 and super sprinting/jumping around Steelport was fun..for a while.

This game is for anybody looking for a fun week or two, but this is not a GOTY contender. There are definitely some design issues- the powers are just too "over powered". Vehicles are pointless and killing enemies is too easy. Bugs from SR 3 return (mainly sound issues) and some aspects of the story don't make sense. There are references to the past games and I did not understand everything since I only played SR 3 and 4.

That being said, I did enjoy this game and running around the city causing chaos with my "Goku" character was great fun. Just a few design changes would have benefited this game.

Score: 7/10

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Assassins Creed 3.

It is crap, I won't give it 1/10.

I don't know why they moved in this direction because the game was great when we still had Ezio, but this game is just plain boring.

The 2 hours I played were painful and I just decided that life is too short to waste on this piece of crap and I just gave the game away.

Don't get this.
    Tips for travellers to Thailand: www.thailandtips.co.za

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

So I finally finished Uncharted 2. Had to reduce the difficulty level to easy since I have no idea how you're supposed to properly play a shooter without a mouse and keyboard.

I'd probably rate it about 7/10.

Game felt extremely long and all the shooting just made it really repetitive. Walk a bit, shoot some people, walk a bit further, shoot more people. The story and the humour is cool though. I've now started with Uncharted 3... I play a couple of hours each weekend.

No guts, no glory, no brain, same story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

I just finished BLOPS2's Single Player campaign.

I thought that it is really good campaign and I enjoyed it more than the MW3 and BLOPS campaign.

It is also longer than the normal CoD campaign.

Score: 8/10.
    Tips for travellers to Thailand: www.thailandtips.co.za

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Gunpoint - The game about punching people and throwing yourself off rooftops (and jumping through glass windows).

Gunpoint is a 2D stealth game, where you play as a spy/amateur electrician, called Richard Conway. You traverse the levels using your bullfrog trousers, which as the name suggests, allows you to jump around like a bullfrog...and land flat on your face until you buy the upgrade to land on your feet. You have a array of other gadgets at your disposable, like sticky gloves which allow you to scale buildings and hang from the roof, the Longshot which allows you to rewire enemy guns, the Prankspasm which allows you to boobytrap electronics and many others.

Your main tool is the crosslink, which allows you to rewire electronics. For example, you could rewire a light switch to open a door, leaving a guard morbidly confused when he tries to turn the lights back on. This allows the player to create many different solutions to the puzzles, and is excellently implemented.

The writing in the game is another of it's strong points. It's very British, and most of the things Conway says are hilarious. I'm not usually a fan of stealth games (mostly because I suck at them), but Gunpoint hits that sweet spot where even if you aren't a master spy, you can still have lots of fun with it.

The game is only 4 hours long, but it's a really good 4 hours. Whether you enjoy stealth games or not, pick it up sometime. I doubt you'll find anything like it for a long time to come. From a scale of punching a guard in the face, to jumping off a building, to kicking open a door and watching it fly into a guard who then falls through 7 story's of glass ceilings, I'll give it a umm...where was I going with this...10/10

There's a GIF for that MetalSoup's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards Member of the Year - Voted by the community. Balls of Steel - Community-selected custom user title.
    Trophies Gift of giving Reputation precedes them

Quote Originally Posted by The_Imp_ZA View Post
    Gunpoint Review
    Nice review, I also liked the game a lot. First game where I actually laughed at the achievements as I got them.