Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Some questions about a computer

Default Some questions about a computer

I recently got a new box, motherboard and processor and I'm having some problems. Sometimes when I leave my computer on for about a hour or more, the mouse and keyboard (which are connected through USB ports) disconnect. This forces me to restart my computer with the button on the box. What could the problem be, how can I keep it connected?

I heard that if you use the restart and shut down buttons on the box, this damages the computer. Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    I recently got a new box, motherboard and processor and I'm having some problems. Sometimes when I leave my computer on for about a hour or more, the mouse and keyboard (which are connected through USB ports) disconnect. This forces me to restart my computer with the button on the box. What could the problem be, how can I keep it connected?

I heard that if you use the restart and shut down buttons on the box, this damages the computer. Is this true?
    This might be a silly question but do the mouse and keyboard power down, ie do the lights turn off on them. It might be a setting on your computer saying that after a while windows will go into sleep/hibernation mode.
    It doesn't damage the computer afaik but it does cause software glitches and can cause corrupt data. Remember processes are still running in the background and doing a force restart stops them from closing correctly which the conventional shut down avoids.
    contact me if you are in Cape Town and looking for PC Hardware at very competitive pricing. We also do web and graphic design.

My keyboard has a caps lock light and I usually test the keyboard by pressing caps lock-it usually doesn't light up when I have the problem. The mouse has a light under it and it's usually still on when I have the problem. How do I change the sleep setting?

Windows 7, Right click on desktop, go personalize, click on screen saver then go power options at the bottom
    contact me if you are in Cape Town and looking for PC Hardware at very competitive pricing. We also do web and graphic design.

Also check on your BIOS settings, disable all those silly power saving features, they also sometimes cause this. In some cases it affects how the processor works, and then rather then getting a nice quad core running at 100% capacity, you get a quad core running at 80% capacity when running games. So please, do yourself a favor and kill them.
    Please keep all extremities tucked in...

As described above, check you power settings in both Windows and the BIOS.

Another question though, when the keyboard freezes like that and you hit the power button, does the PC shutdown properly (meaning does Windows go through the shutdown procedure) or do you hold in the power button to force a shutdown instead ?

If your pc is freezing altogether, that will be another problem altogether. But try playing with power settings first

If the PC isn't freezing, then it might work to unplug your keyboard and mouse, and plug them back in again. USB devices are hot pluggable

If you are pedantic enough, maybe you can remove your memory and use a rubber eraser on the copper points. Clean it out nicely just in case. Not that it'll be linked but you just never know.
    Please keep all extremities tucked in...

The more I think about it, the more I think that it's most likely that it could seem that the problem is the keyboard and mouse, because they obviously aren't doing anything, but it's more likely that the machine has hung...

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    Windows 7, Right click on desktop, go personalize, click on screen saver then go power options at the bottom
    I used a screen saver, but I watched videos while I was in bed and I fell asleep with the pc on. When I woke up, it wouldn't respond and I had to restart it on the box