Thread: Game and Internet addiction can damage your brain: Study

Default Game and Internet addiction can damage your brain: Study

Game and Internet addiction causes brain damage: Study

Grunt once for ‘yes’, two for ‘no’ and three times for another game of Counter-Strike

“The results also suggest that IAD may share psychological and neural mechanisms with other types of substance addiction and impulse control disorders.”
    And:

“For the first time two studies show changes in the neuronal connections between brain areas as well as changes in brain function in people who are frequently using the internet or video games,” he explained.
    Yeah, to me this shows that there is correlation between brain rewiring and addiction. Not necessarily gaming alone, but also internet, substance abuse and, I'm sure, any other form of chronic addiction.

I see the main article is mostly about web addiction.

But the brain always changes to whatever you do. New neural pathways are always formed.
    T A N S T A A F L

Quote Originally Posted by czc View Post
    But the brain always changes to whatever you do. New neural pathways are always formed.
    Sure, but I'm inclined to believe that there are people who are predisposed to chronic addiction (television, reading, internet, gaming, substance abuse, adrenaline, etc). You'll probably find that many, if not all of them, have the same "bran rewiring."

Also, I'm curious:
    “Overall, our findings indicate that IAD has abnormal white matter integrity in brain regions involving emotional generation and processing, executive attention, decision making and cognitive control"
    Do these people have better emotional generation and processing, executive attention, decision making and cognitive control or worse? My money would be on the latter, considering I get the feeling that their chronic addictions negatively impact themselves and those around them.

Which raises the next obvious point: what about the rest of us who don't have addictive personalities, who moderate these things? What are these studies trying to prove and how will that affect perception conservative groups have on these media? How will that affect the rest of us and/or the industry as a whole?

While I find the study interesting, the sweeping assertion that "game and internet addiction causes brain damage" when the original article never even uses the phrase "brain damage" bugs me. Nor does it imply whether these changes to the brain are positive or negative or whether or not it's due to chronic addiction (a psychological problem in and of itself) or normal use.

I abhor sensationalism

Grunt grunt grunt.... nowait Counter Strike was played in College days.
    DALA SQUAD
    Loud, Proud and Ombeskof