Thread: MTN USB Modem help needed

Default MTN USB Modem help needed

Hi guys, I need some help. I need to try connect a laptop to the internet using a MTN Fastlink E153 modem.
    Driver is installed and each time I try connect it gives a 619 Error. It does show that there is bandwidth remaining. Anybody know how to fix this?
    Oh yeah Using Windows XP
    Last edited by simon; 24-01-2012 at 11:54 AM.
    contact me if you are in Cape Town and looking for PC Hardware at very competitive pricing. We also do web and graphic design.

Hi

There is so much that can be wrong with it. Where to begin...

Do you have a proper antivirus on your computer that is up to date? Scanning your computer with malware bytes is a good free indication of how clean it is, just make sure to have backups in case u get the rare problem.

Have u installed any hardware or software lately? or are u using it in a different USB port every time, found that if u swap usb ports often that it corrupts the drivers, where u need to uninstall all traces of the drivers to get it working.

Some times it tries to work only as a CD Rom, and disabling it in device manager can help(but only the CD Rom The modem creates).

Try doing a firmware update on it, found this problem allot on 3G modems and windows xp.. normally I try the firmware for the provider that the 3g is for first.. if that doesn't work i get the firmware from the manufacturer of the card.. like with the hauwi models the standderd firmware works the best. If u are not sure about how to do this, there is a few guides, I have also found that both MTN and Vodacom staff is very helpful if they have a tech that knows how this works.

Hope this helps. If not, please let me know
    Last edited by wuRm; 24-01-2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Mistakes :S

Well it isn't my laptop or modem so weather there is anything new installed or not I wouldn't be able to say.
    Will try the antivirus and see if that helps and see if there is a later version of the modem software. Thanks
    contact me if you are in Cape Town and looking for PC Hardware at very competitive pricing. We also do web and graphic design.

Ok so I downloaded the latest version and am now trying to connect. It says a connection to the remote computer could not be established, so the port used for this connection was closed.
    What now?

It seems that the problem is with the driver installed. I have had this problem a few times as well. this happens when the modem gets switched between the different usb ports, after a while it corrupts the driver, and in return u will get multiple errors including this one. the "connection to the remote computer could not be established" that refers to error code 619 and 720.

the only way I found to fix this is by removing the driver completely, rebooting and reinstalling, or to do a fresh install.

You can try uninstalling the software, remove the drivers in device manager and try cleaning the registry (only if u know your way around it). There is a tool i found here: http://forums.practicallynetworked.c...tachmentid=131 that uninstalls all network drivers, so make sure u have LAN and WiFi drivers before you run it.

Thanks for the help. It was for a customers laptop. I tried uninstalling the driver and putting the latest one on and it still didn't work however I didn't remove it from the registry, so it could have been the problem but I will never know.

ah well... sorry i did not reply sooner then.

No worries, lol.
    Thats why I work at an internet cafe, just use our internet instead. Quicker and more reliable lol