Thread: How to budget your PC component upgrades

Default How to budget your PC component upgrades

How to budget your PC component upgrades

It’s time to upgrade, but you’re a bit over budget. Here are the corners you can cut

Again nice read and some valid points but...

This is what I would go for.

i5 2500K
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3
    Patriot G2 2x4GB DDRIII 1600

That comes to R3800.

MSI 6970 2GB.

R3500

Total
    R7300

There you go.

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    Again nice read and some valid points but...

This is what I would go for.

i5 2500K
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3
    Patriot G2 2x4GB DDRIII 1600

That comes to R3800.

MSI 6970 2GB.

R3500

Total
    R7300

There you go.
    swap the pro3 for extreme3 ... its a only like R200 more and well worth it for the extra features

you can easily get kingston 4gb ddr3 ram for like R250, so R500 gets you 8gb of ram ... also, asrock isnt as bitchy as asus when it comes to ram compatibilities

most of the time a decent psu is also required to provide the amps for the gfx card

my upgrade over the weekend:
    i5 2500k = R2100 (got it on special so it was R1900)
    2x 4gb ddr3 kingston ram R400
    asrock z68 extreme3 gen3 = R1600
    total = R4100
    Last edited by weakest_link; 28-02-2012 at 11:22 PM.

A tree never hits an automobile except in self-defence.

Quote Originally Posted by weakest_link View Post
    swap the pro3 for extreme3 ... its a only like R200 more and well worth it for the extra features

you can easily get kingston 4gb ddr3 ram for like R250, so R500 gets you 8gb of ram ... also, asrock isnt as bitchy as asus when it comes to ram compatibilities

most of the time a decent psu is also required to provide the amps for the gfx card

my upgrade over the weekend:
    i5 2500k = R2100 (got it on special so it was R1900)
    2x 4gb ddr3 kingston ram R400
    asrock z68 extreme3 gen3 = R1600
    total = R4100
    Its the exact same board...only has the extra PciE slot...and a fancy looking heatsink.
    Anyone looking at cutting corners will not be looking at running sli/cf. But yeah I guess you can get the board, looks a little better and does offer the extra pciE slot so +1 to that.

As for Ram, why settle for Kingston if you can get Patriot G2 for the exact same price?
    Ram is at an all time low and it'll drop even more. You can pick up geil DDRIII 1600 8GB kits for around R450.

They didn't spec a psu so I didn't bother adding one but yes a Decent quality psu is a def must and def not a part to skimp on.

So awesome to see other people as keen on hardware as I am...something that lacks on this forum

I'm quite happy with my current setup, the only exception now being my Graphics card, but I'm saving up for the 7800 series cards although I will probably wait for nVidia to release their new line-up before making a purchase.

Avoid the fluff: stay away from fluff features, particularly those found on motherboards. Dual gigabit Ethernet ports, external LCD displays, three PCIe express lanes for those who won’t actually crossfire/SLI – all are features that will probably never be used by the majority of gamers.
    Funny... my Asus P67 Evo cost me R2100 and has dual gigabit ethernet ports and three PCIe express lanes
    Running Windows? ... Upgrade to Linux
    [email protected], Corsair V [email protected], Corsair H60, Corsair TX750M, Corsair 500R, Razer BW Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by froot View Post
    Funny... my Asus P67 Evo cost me R2100 and has dual gigabit ethernet ports and three PCIe express lanes
    Yip and they are all PciE 2.0 and its also P series and not Z.
    Hopefully you bought the Evo a couple of months ago...If you bought it recently whoever sold it to you should be shot xD