Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: CD Projekt thinks small DLC should be free

  1. #1
    Much write, very gaming qornea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    MyGaming hamster cage.
    Posts
    2,167

    Default CD Projekt thinks small DLC should be free

    CD Projekt: smaller DLC should be free

    What do we want? FREE STUFF! When do we want it? NOW!

  2. #2

    Default

    I agree 100%. If it adds a lot of of cool stuff to the game, I don't mind paying. But a costume (or Horse Armour) is another story entirely.
    That's what she said.

    The Dork Knight.

  3. #3

    Default

    You forgot about the new strategy, remove stuff from your game, make it a pre-order or collectors edition exclusive and then sell it after release for 15% of the total game price.

    I can just see it in a few years;

    Dragon Effect: Modern Solid Scrolls 8
    Standard Edition:
    -Intro movie + start screen

    Collectors Edition, Pre-order bonus:
    -The rest of the game

  4. #4
    The Legendary Troll Hunter OmegaFenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not here....
    Posts
    34,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOnk View Post
    You forgot about the new strategy, remove stuff from your game, make it a pre-order or collectors edition exclusive and then sell it after release for 15% of the total game price.

    I can just see it in a few years;

    Dragon Effect: Modern Solid Scrolls 8
    Standard Edition:
    -Intro movie + start screen

    Collectors Edition, Pre-order bonus:
    -The rest of the game
    DRM didn't work so they are trying the carrot rather than the stick. Buy the game new and you get extra stuff, buy it second hand and you have to pay. To my knowledge none of the Pre-order/CE DLC in any recent game can be considered integral.

    So if DRM doesn't work & you can't try and entice gamers to buy new rather the pre-owned (or buy at all instead of pirating) with Free DLC what is a developer/publisher to do?
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"


  5. #5

    Default

    Generally I agree with that sentiment but recently stuff they have been putting in CE's and more frustratingly in preorder bonuses is starting to cross the line.

  6. #6
    The Legendary Troll Hunter OmegaFenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not here....
    Posts
    34,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOnk View Post
    Generally I agree with that sentiment but recently stuff they have been putting in CE's and more frustratingly in preorder bonuses is starting to cross the line.
    Would you mind naming a few? I've only gotten the Deus Ex, Batman AC, Skyrim, Gears 3, Kingdom's of Amalur & Friday Mass Effect 3 Pre-orders or CE and none of those had anything in that I would call essential. Closest was Batman AC's Catwoman missions which was free to anyone who bought the game new, so I may be missing some that may have crossed the line.
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"


  7. #7

    Default

    It's not about them being essential it's about them removing variety of content which would otherwise have been included to be part of the game. The Batman AC stuff was a good example for me, all those costumes for me would probably would have been included as bonuses for finishing the game if it hadn't been for preorders. Like why do I as a loyal customer get treated worse just because I didn't preorder at Gamestop and as such don't get item a, b, c or d without paying extra.

    It sort of feels like well you really just not that valuable a customer unless you preorder and if you want to be even more valuable then you must get the CE. The inclusion of in-game content in collectors editions is also a problem since now you no longer get the full game just from 'buying the game' and you are forced to choose between paying for the CE which has a bunch of stuff you don't really want or forking out a disproportionate amount of money to buy this extra content.

    Yes I know 'you don't have to' and 'it's not essential' but it's still part of the game which they are segregating and charging extra for, so you land up getting 90% of the game for $60 and if you want the other 10% you need to fork out another $60.

  8. #8
    The Legendary Troll Hunter OmegaFenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not here....
    Posts
    34,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOnk View Post
    It's not about them being essential it's about them removing variety of content which would otherwise have been included to be part of the game. The Batman AC stuff was a good example for me, all those costumes for me would probably would have been included as bonuses for finishing the game if it hadn't been for preorders. Like why do I as a loyal customer get treated worse just because I didn't preorder at Gamestop and as such don't get item a, b, c or d without paying extra.

    It sort of feels like well you really just not that valuable a customer unless you preorder and if you want to be even more valuable then you must get the CE. The inclusion of in-game content in collectors editions is also a problem since now you no longer get the full game just from 'buying the game' and you are forced to choose between paying for the CE which has a bunch of stuff you don't really want or forking out a disproportionate amount of money to buy this extra content.

    Yes I know 'you don't have to' and 'it's not essential' but it's still part of the game which they are segregating and charging extra for, so you land up getting 90% of the game for $60 and if you want the other 10% you need to fork out another $60.
    Consider that if it wasn't for Pre-Orders alot of this content may not exist? Since there is no way for us to say definitely one way or the other that they would/wouldn't if it was/wasn't for pre-order we must entertain the thought that while it is likely some content may have shipped with the game it is just as likely that the content would have ended up on the cutting room floor.

    I also wouldn't say you end up with 90% of the game in most standard editions. You still get the full game from beginning to end but if you pre-order/buy at retailer "Y", get the CE you are rewarded with that little bit of bonus content. Bonus being the key word their. Its a way for different retailers and the publisher to reward people for shopping with them. I passed on the Robin DLC for Batman AC which GAME provided to customers who purchased the game with them and got the CE (which doesn't have the Robin DLC) from Amazon because the price difference between the two was £10. Not being able to play as Robin in the Challenge maps didn't dampen the experience for me, neither did not having access to all the different skins.
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"


  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOnk View Post
    Generally I agree with that sentiment but recently stuff they have been putting in CE's and more frustratingly in preorder bonuses is starting to cross the line.
    I tend to agree. Regardless of whether it is considered essential or not. For me, any game "content" released on the same day as the game like additional characters and quests, I consider should be part of the game or at least free dlc for whoever buys the game new. I have no problem if they provide some additional fancy weapons or character outfits for pre-orders and the physical artwork, comic books or whatever for the collector's editions, but don't reduce the core game.

    ME3 is the first CE edition I've ever bought and that is only due to the price and well, cause it is Mass Effect. Except perhaps Hitman (if they decide to pull similar stunts), there is no other game I would even consider getting the CE edition.

    No guts, no glory, no brain, same story.

  10. #10

    Default

    Yes you could argue it either way, I think sometimes it's just too convenient an excuse. Whether you think they are bonus or not I don't think you can argue about the prices being fairy ridiculous for what you get.

    Take ME3, $10 or 15% to get a single extra character, which goes one of two ways, either that content is significant enough that it truly should have been part of the game or it's is in fact a small bonus and the price should be closer to $2-3.
    Last edited by MOnk; 07-03-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •