Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: E-tags will be made compulsory says SANRAL

It was mentioned in a recent press conference, I don't have a printed source
    This was in response to the COSATU strikes regarding transport costs for the masses

"The Only Blood Type that matters is .... Red" Zombie Proverb

http://www.fin24.com/Economy/Sanral-...lsory-20120403

extract
    "Sanral would like to clarify to road users that it is not compulsory for road users to buy an e-tag for Gauteng e-tolling. Registering with an e-tag is optional," it said in a statement.

It was reported earlier that Sanral was attempting to legally force motorists to buy an e-tag or have their driver's licences taken away.

"Road users are therefore not forced to buy an e-tag, but are encouraged to obtain one to enjoy the cost saving benefits available to e-tag users."

These benefits included a 48% e-tag discount and a frequent user discount.
    Essentially: if you get an etag, you pay a lot of money getting tolled. if you didn't, you pay a SHITLOAD of money getting tolled.

As someone who lives in PTA and works in JHB.. this + 70+ cents increase per litre... It hurts. I can only catch the Gautrain so much due to me working in multiple locations. Its going to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Phatso View Post
    http://www.fin24.com/Economy/Sanral-...lsory-20120403

extract

Essentially: if you get an etag, you pay a lot of money getting tolled. if you didn't, you pay a SHITLOAD of money getting tolled.

As someone who lives in PTA and works in JHB.. this + 70+ cents increase per litre... It hurts. I can only catch the Gautrain so much due to me working in multiple locations. Its going to suck.
    What I'm struggling to comprehend is if they can afford to give a ~50% discount to e-tag users, why the hell are they charging so much in the first place? Rather reduce the price across the board by ~40% and everyone will be happier.