Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I Need Your Advice!!

MyGaming Comp Authoritah sycogrim's Avatar

Wink I Need Your Advice!!

Hey Folks

So I've finally pulled my ass into gear and decided that I'm gonna buy myself an Xbox. Now the main thing that comes in is that I need advice on how, what, etc...

So I know there are various versions of the Xbox to buy what should I get??

What size should I purchase, and am I allowed to changed the hard drive if I want more space??

How much should I expect to pay for just a standard Console pack eg: Console, one remote, and cables. Excl games?

I think that's all the questions I have for now.

All advice is appreciated

Thanks
    All it takes is ONE BAD DAY tO ReDuCe the SaNesT Man Alive To LuNaCy. That's How Far The World Is From Where I am. JUST ONE BAD DAY

Blog Entries . YouTube Channel and Playlists

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFox
    I'm gonna tolerate and love...........THE SHIT OUTTA YOU
    Shadowfox's response to me in my failed attempts to annoy him

I'd say a 250GB console is more than sufficient. And don't bother with the 4GB flash version, it's more for the Kinect crowd.

Look for a bundle with a few games or even an extra control. I saw one with a 250GB console and three games a few weeks ago for just over R2k, so shop around for something similar.

Incredible Deception often have decent deals, and if you're okay with giving money to the swine at BT Games, check out their site for regular Xdoos specials.

XBoxes are awesome. Good choice dude.

There's only the 4GB and 250GB versions at the moment AFAIK, and you can get them bundled with a Kinect if that floats your boat.

Although I'm sure you can upgrade the drive, I'd go for the 250GB straight off the bat if I were you, otherwise you'll just end up spending more money to get a HDD. You need the space for installing games, downloading DLC and patches, and even whole games. You might also want to store videos and music on there.

Not sure about the price. I still have the old phat version.
    You are going to be paying a lot more for games than PC versions though.

250GB dude, don't skimp on space. I did and I regretted it.

You're looking at about R2500 - R2999 give or take:

http://www.incredible.co.za/ProductD...aspx?SKU=80672

http://www.takealot.com/gaming/conso...ox360,10888013

The standalone console would probably cost close to (and in some cases more) than the bundles so why not get a game or two and some MS points while you're at it?

IC often has their specials on Thursdays - I saw one with two games, a controller and some MS points for R2699 about a week ago.

I also don't think any of them come with HD cables (mine didn't) so that's an extra couple of bucks right there.

Xbox games start at 499 (EA games) and go up to 699 for some titles. (special editions excluded)
    250 Gig one is the one to get.

MyGaming Comp Authoritah sycogrim's Avatar

Ok so since you all reckon I should point my finger in the direction of the 250gig, that's one problem off my chest. The next thing is that I remember there was a point where people were saying that there are various versions of Xbox, especially since some of them tend to RROD more than others and then there were the ones that were Perfect!!

With the slim version, are they all the same??

I also don't care too much about the HDMI Cable as that is easy for me to get at a decent rate.

I would like to use it as a media player as well, but I'll have it hooked up to my LCD monitor along side my PC.
    All it takes is ONE BAD DAY tO ReDuCe the SaNesT Man Alive To LuNaCy. That's How Far The World Is From Where I am. JUST ONE BAD DAY

Blog Entries . YouTube Channel and Playlists

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFox
    I'm gonna tolerate and love...........THE SHIT OUTTA YOU
    Shadowfox's response to me in my failed attempts to annoy him

Yeah, all slim models are the same basically, just some have a bigger HDD.

I bought a 250gig Slim with Gears of War 3 for 3k seven months ago and it's still going strong .

The old phat versions have a problem with the RROD.

I saw Kalahari selling a a 250gig Slim with Gears of War 3 and Forza 4 for 3k, pretty good deal imo.

BT always have Xbox bundles in stock and Incredible Connection as well.

Sent using Tapatalk
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."

- T.E. Lawrence

All the dodgy chipsets were phased out AFAIK so just buy any 250GB console and you're good.

Syco just get with one controller. i have an extra black controller that we have not even opened that you can buy for a special price when you get your xbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Hello WinzEveryDayz.

250gig no question. Think about BF3 - that game has over 5gigs (if not more) of updates already so the 4gig is out for any real games.

A couple of months ago I bought a 250gig slim, with BF3 and Crysis 2 and Forza3, 3months XBL and a controller for R2699 @ Incredible Connection. So you should look around for a similar deal.

EDIT: RROD doesn't seem to be a huge issue anymore. It was only really those initial released units. A couple of my mates have had problems but they were able to just return it without hassles and get a new one free on charge. No real need to worry about that. I presonally haven't had any issues and I have 2. One new 250gig slim, and an old Pro 60gig still going strong around 4-5years now.
    Last edited by Cicero; 04-06-2012 at 04:19 PM.