Thread: Free-to-play games are "demos with monetisation stuck on" reckons Peter Molyneux

Default Free-to-play games are "demos with monetisation stuck on" reckons Peter Molyneux

Can we as a collective/worldwide gaming community just all agree that we don't really care what Peter Molyneux thinks every week. Honestly, it's like a week can't go by without seeing some or other irrelevant article somewhere about ol' Peter's musings.

I agree with him. How many F2P games do you know of are worth playing past the first few months without paying anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Graal View Post
    I agree with him. How many F2P games do you know of are worth playing past the first few months without paying anything?
    It's not that I'm disagreeing, it's a case of him stating that "water is wet" and people feel the need to report on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Graal View Post
    So you play a game for free for a few months, then when they suggest you pay a little something you call fowl and say the game is not worth playing?

Free to play games ARE NOT FREE, they are there to make money, doesn't mean the concept of 'try before you buy' or 'spend what you want' isn't a pretty good deal for most consumers when done right.
    Last edited by MOnk; 13-06-2012 at 04:49 PM.

I'm the 'who' when you ask 'who's there?'!!

League of Legends is free and they still make money.

Game is also pretty good and the only thing that requires money is skins if you want to stand out a bit.
    Connection to reality could not be established,please try again later

Quote Originally Posted by MOnk View Post
    So you play a game for free for a few months, then when they suggest you pay a little something you call fowl and say the game is shit?
    I'm sorry, but where did I say that? I'm saying that the majority of F2P games are not worth playing if you're not planning on spending money.

Also, I started LOTRO two days ago, and I've already spent more than $30 on that, because I knew it wouldn't be worth my time if I didn't spend any money on it. Where am I crying foul or saying it's shit?

isn't a pretty good deal for most consumers when done right.
    Which is my point exactly. Few F2P games do the F2P model right. Age of Empires Online, as an example, is basically not F2P. When going up against a Premium player, a non-premium will lose 99 out of a 100 times due to him not having access to decent gear. TF2 is pretty much one of the only games that does F2P right.

tl;dr - Don't place words in my mouth.

tl;dr - Don't place words in my mouth.
    Edited my post for accuracy.

DOTA2 is also going the cosmetic only route, no unlocking heroes/champions, no way to get any advantage over other players and no grinding. A lot of f2p games still rely on grinding to unlock game changing stats instead of cosmetic only.

A big mistake games like HoN and LoL make is they don't evolve their f2p model, they;re respective companies may have started without enough resources to create enough additional cosmetic items to go that route, but they are capable of that now. Still having to unlock heroes/champions is kinda working agains them atm. Maybe ok for the game in it's early life, but not when they grow older.