Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Achievements Taking The Plunge
    Trophies Firestarter The finest threads Poll position

Default Windows 8 and gaming

Windows 8 and gaming

What can gamers look forward to in Windows 8?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

I used the consumer preview (not the latest release preview) and my experience was nothing but misery. Blue screens and freeze ups galore. Windows 8 seemed to really disagree with being on a network with ntlm proxy authentication. I ended up reverting back to 7 just because it was so unstable. I couldn't even get python to install on it. I really hope the release version is more polished.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

What keeps me away from Windows 8 is the Metro Interface. Don't like it. If they had an option to disable it forever, I would get Windows 8.
    (Dell XPS L502X) Intel Core i7 2630QM | 6GB DDR3 1333MHz | Nvidia GT 525M 1GB DDR3 | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 15.6" WLED HD Display | 500GB 7200RPM HDD
    KoeksWorld

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost29 View Post
    I used the consumer preview (not the latest release preview) and my experience was nothing but misery. Blue screens and freeze ups galore. Windows 8 seemed to really disagree with being on a network with ntlm proxy authentication. I ended up reverting back to 7 just because it was so unstable. I couldn't even get python to install on it. I really hope the release version is more polished.
    I, myself, ran the CP. It was also unstable and some of my hardware was not supported. I also reverted back to 7. I, however, installed RP and it's been nothing but a pleasure to work with. All my hardware is now supported and it's been very stable.
    It's totally worth giving it a shot -and I can definitely see a performance increase, not just in gaming, but overall as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! MyGame Challenge 1: Dark Souls - Achievement Unlocked: You Died. Lots of times. But you somehow finished the game.

The release preview was amazing and I will switch over the day I can buy Windows 8.

Quote Originally Posted by okuhle94 View Post
    What keeps me away from Windows 8 is the Metro Interface. Don't like it. If they had an option to disable it forever, I would get Windows 8.
    What don't you like about it and which Windows 8 version was the last one you tried? Did you see that you can just switch over to the normal desktop?

I read an article a while back that said that people who do not like the Metro interface are lying. I can't find it now but it made such good points and I agree with the article. Everything that you could do on the old desktop you can do now but quicker. And the apps that are in Metro style looks so much cleaner and you can still make use of normal applications too. It just boggles my mind that people do not like Metro or the new Metro desktop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards Member of the Year - Voted by the community. Threadkiller - Got the last word in.
    Trophies Friend zone
    Eat - Sleep - Overclock - Repeat

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

I loaded the Windows 8 DP many months ago on a virtual PC, I pressed Start and instantly hated it. I even deleted it without a second look.

I went back to Windows 7...but because I work PC retail, I decided, what the hell may as well give it another bash. So I loaded up Windows 8 RP last week, for reals this time and with every intent of hating it. I hate to admit it, but it has grown on me.

It is definitely faster, cleaner and the Metro live apps are pretty sick. What Microsoft has done is very clever, they haven't made everything MSN account based, they have integrated all social platforms in to one...and it works! Without even having Outlook installed, I have a live app fetching email from both my Google and Live accounts, another one updating Facebook and yet another app which integrates MSN Messenger, Google Talk etc.

I can see Micro$oft coining it with Windows 8 when it is released - you know why? Because the computer, tablet and phone will all be running the same OS (idea stolen directly from Apple lol). Only difference is, this time everything will be compatible with everything else and the less savvy users won't have to worry about the Android phone in their pocket, the iPad in their hands and the Windows PC all running different operating systems and confusing the shit out of them. And let me tell you, most long time Windows users are reluctant to make the switch to the more expensive, less compatible and exclusive (you can only buy this R400 cable to use your Mac) club that is Apple products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

yeah yeah. till BFx or MWx says YOU NEED win 8 and the crowd goes WE NEED win 8. lol. fail.
    // Previously known as Blind Faith or Pr⊕phet
    // Sign up to Greenman Gaming and get $2 FREE in-store credit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

I don't really have any intention of running a tablet OS on my desktop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

tablet OS? do people just read crap on the internet, and then respew it?