Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help deleting a file

Exclamation Need help deleting a file

I didn't know where to put this thread, so here it is. I have this file on my computer that I need to delete. Whenever I try to, a message pops up saying:

Cannot delete: Access is denied
    Make sure that the disk is not full or copy right protected and that the file is not in use.

I know that it's not in use, I'm pretty sure the disk(?) is not full, so it has to be copy right protected. I looked it up on Google, but the results were no help. I need to get rid of it ASAP, please help

You may not have ownership rights to the file. Check online for a script to change ownership to your current user, otherwise you can look up how to do it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    I didn't know where to put this thread, so here it is. I have this file on my computer that I need to delete. Whenever I try to, a message pops up saying:

Cannot delete: Access is denied
    Make sure that the disk is not full or copy right protected and that the file is not in use.

I know that it's not in use, I'm pretty sure the disk(?) is not full, so it has to be copy right protected. I looked it up on Google, but the results were no help. I need to get rid of it ASAP, please help
    RobinPronzorsXXX ?

or

RobinKeyWormzoRz ?

...as monk said
    // Previously known as Blind Faith or Pr⊕phet
    // Sign up to Greenman Gaming and get $2 FREE in-store credit.

MyGaming Comp Authoritah sycogrim's Avatar

First things first

1. Start your PC up in safe mode command prompt
    2. once in safe mode hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to get Taskmanager running
    3. Click file------new process------browse (Change programs to all files)
    4. search for the file that you are wanting to delete and remove it

If you still get an access denied error, the follow the same procedure above and before you delete it, change the security of the file in properties and take ownership of the file and then proceed to try delete.

If that still happens then go back to Taskmanager--------New process-------type msconfig and hit enter.
    - Click on the tab that says startup and find the file that doesn't fit or doesn't look right, alternatively you can just post the list of names you see there in here and I'll be able to tell you if you're not sure.

untick the name that you don't want and click apply. Go back to taskmanager and end the process forcefully

if it's starting up with windows go start a new process ---regedit--- in taskmanager (enter regedit without the ---)

HKEY_Local_Machine----------Software-----------Microsoft-----------Windows----------Current Version-------Run.

In the run list you will see various programs that startup with windows and obviously you might see the file/virus/worm starting up and causing headaches. You can delete the registry key and let us know.
    All it takes is ONE BAD DAY tO ReDuCe the SaNesT Man Alive To LuNaCy. That's How Far The World Is From Where I am. JUST ONE BAD DAY

Blog Entries . YouTube Channel and Playlists

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFox
    I'm gonna tolerate and love...........THE SHIT OUTTA YOU
    Shadowfox's response to me in my failed attempts to annoy him

Perhaps its simply a process using the file.

Start the Task Manager and go to Processes and sort by Description. Find the process using the file, end it, and delete the file.

If that fails grab a copy of Malwarebytes' FileAssassin here to delete the file.

MyGaming Comp Authoritah sycogrim's Avatar

OoOoOoOoOoOo Thank you Psychogenik!! I has myself a new program to have fun with
    All it takes is ONE BAD DAY tO ReDuCe the SaNesT Man Alive To LuNaCy. That's How Far The World Is From Where I am. JUST ONE BAD DAY

Blog Entries . YouTube Channel and Playlists

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFox
    I'm gonna tolerate and love...........THE SHIT OUTTA YOU
    Shadowfox's response to me in my failed attempts to annoy him

File Assassin, that sounds appropriate.

Thanks a lot guys! I'll try to delete it later tonight (it's complicated). I'll let you know how it goes

Download Linux put on flash disk run boot up with flash disk delete any file you want. Restart pc back into windows see how windows bitch and moans. Kktnx baai
    Evil meet my Sword. Sword, meet Evil!