Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Darksiders II review and opinion roundup

Default Darksiders II review and opinion roundup

Darksiders II review and opinion roundup

Does Vigil’s Earth-destroying sequel live up to the hype?

After clocking up about 4 or 5 hours in game so far I can honestly say that this game is well worth it. Much more fun than the original. Mounted combat, weapon system, mobility and much more fluid combat mechanics make this one of the best games I have played so far this year. I would say the only let down in it is the low res textures but we have consoles to blame for that.

I've also done about 4 hours to check it out and I honestly could not get myself to play any longer. On console it will probably be acceptable, but on PC it is horrid. The textures looks terrible, even for a PS3/360 nevermind a PC. Probably on par with Wii graphics. The character model in inventory screen is downright laughable. The world is 3 times as big as the first one, but it's filled with big wide bland open spaces. The feel of the game just feels wrong. It's the apocalypse and you play as the most scary and feared horseman of them all Death. Yet it has a real, Nintendo/kiddies feel to it, nothing dark and gloomy here. You can take out the blood and it can marketed for kids. After playing this, I can say I enjoyed the linear, dark feeling of the first one more. The combat is fun though, but not that fun for me to spend hours completing this trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
    I've also done about 4 hours to check it out and I honestly could not get myself to play any longer. On console it will probably be acceptable, but on PC it is horrid. The textures looks terrible, even for a PS3/360 nevermind a PC. Probably on par with Wii graphics. The character model in inventory screen is downright laughable. The world is 3 times as big as the first one, but it's filled with big wide bland open spaces.
    Maybe because you're playing a pirated copy of the game?

The Legendary Troll Hunter OmegaFenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth View Post
    It launched on US steam on the 14th all ready. I thought the same thing when I saw the comments. Granted a pirate copy could still be the case.

I do find it a little funny to hear people whine about this, I mean its not like you didn't know. Surely you should have expected this, play it on console or skip it.

EDIT: And it turns out you where right.
    Last edited by OmegaFenix; 20-08-2012 at 05:13 PM.
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth View Post
    Maybe, but sometime I believe in trying before buying. If theres usually a demo of the game, I'll play that, if not, I'll "acquire" a "demo". If I enjoy it, I'll buy it, if I don't, I delete it. This is actually a good example of developers pushing crap out the door and expecting you pay R500 for the game. But that is different topic altogether.

The Legendary Troll Hunter OmegaFenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
    Maybe, but sometime I believe in trying before buying. If theres usually a demo of the game, I'll play that, if not, I'll "acquire" a "demo". If I enjoy it, I'll buy it, if I don't, I delete it. This is actually a good example of developers pushing crap out the door and expecting you pay R500 for the game. But that is different topic altogether.
    Fine, but IMHO you forfeit your right to complain the moment you fail to pay for something.
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

Luckily going to play this on console so shouldn't be too bad by my standards, only getting it on Wednesday. Loved the first one and probably will really enjoy this too

I have seen the what the pirated version looks like on PC and I have to disagree with Tarka. While it is pretty obvious that it is a direct port from console, it really does not look bad. I was actually impressed by the visuals, especially the colourful visual style. FYI: I am not a pirate, I just happened to come across it on a friend's hard drive over the weekend and I couldn't help myself, curiosity got the better of me.

@Tarka: Honestly? "A good example of developers pushing crap out the door?" LOL, you obviously don't know what you are talking about. Maybe you don't like it because they use more than one colour, or you can't wrap your head around the puzzles or something. I played it for 15 minutes or so and knew that it would be well worth the R879 the CE is costing me. Would you have been more satisfied if it was a brown shooter?

I already had my CE in my hand today (the mask is AWESOME, btw), but due to the release embargo I can only get it and take it home with me tomorrow. I cannot wait to put some serious time into this, although I'll probably only get to play it after the 1st of September when I have finished moving into my new flat.
    Last edited by Wlad; 20-08-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Uhm, this is kinda awkward. Does WAGE really not have an issue with their game server admins openly admitting to piracy on public forums?