Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is the average ping time for ADSL from home to home?

Question What is the average ping time for ADSL from home to home?

Does anyone know what the average ping time is from the average home router to another home router?
    How reliable has your gaming experience been in the past regarding connecting directly to a friend's IP/router to play a game?

Thanks

Should be quite low between 15 an 50ms. Gaming experience is very close to LAN.
    When an anti-piracy method is affecting the game for people who legitimately bought it and causing other people not to buy the game, there is obviously something wrong with it!

Router to Router is generally not as great as Router to Server. Should be somewhere round the 50-70ms mark, assuming both are in GP. Also, more latency spikes, esp if one is on 384k. If either is on a congested exchange it it'll suck.

If at all possible try to avoid such setups.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyzak View Post
    Should be quite low between 15 an 50ms. Gaming experience is very close to LAN.
    You misunderstood him I think. No chance you'll see 15ms to another router imo.

Yeah I was thinking 50-70ms sounds about right, slightly more to the server due to the exchanges and extra residential cable.

My concern is we're developing the multiplayer for our game now and 20 concurrent race sessions of 4 cars each will max out your typical Mid Range Xeon processor, so we are considering moving the game hosting onto the customers where they host their own games from home and others can join via a server we host specifically as a lobby/chat server, where the connection to the host can first be determined.

The alternative is dedicated servers but two servers is already $120 a month in the US/EU, and if those get CPU maxed people are going to be angry.

Quote Originally Posted by MDZA View Post
    multiplayer for our game now and 20 concurrent race sessions of 4 cars each will max out your typical Mid Range Xeon processor
    Huh? Sounds a bit heavy for a couple of cars. Most servers can keep track of many hundreds of entities before they hit Xeon class gear. Are you simulating the physics server side?

Either way I'd recommend against customer hosted games. I can guarantee you that it will result in endless headaches.

Yes, the server is authoritative and the physics are simulated on the server, with the resulting transforms pushed to the clients.

The problem is I'm using Unity's wheel colliders, which are known to be CPU intensive, and with 16 of them in one server process that's already 5-7% CPU usage. I tried another physics package which is supposed to be more optimised, but I couldn't get the driving feel that I was looking for.

The other problem is, as an indie developer, paying for dedicated servers on a monthly basis in the can work out to be non-profitable in the long-run.

Yes, the server is authoritative and the physics are simulated on the server
    Dude thats insane. Sure make the server authoritative for position, but not for the actual physics simulation. Keeping it server side will also exasperate any lag issue 10x & won't scale worth a damn.

The plan about the EU servers is going to be tricky too. 150ms+ latency will be very noticeable w/ the physics server side.

Rather keep everything client side (except position) and recalc it server side in very broad terms to make sure nobody is cheating.

Also, I have no idea what I'm talking about & you probably shouldn't be taking my advice.

Hahah.. thanks for the advice, but calculating physics on the server was the advice given directly by uLink's engineers.
    Having multiple physics simulations can cause undesirable behaviour (I've seen it and it looks messy). You need one physics master to dictate what actually goes on when two cars bump, or if you see another player's car hit the barrier, the result of that needs to be the same on all clients. If it was different on all clients, you'll have conflicting results, and when you do state synch you'd have a lot of corrections, which would look even worse.

I'm gonna go with direct IP, the lobby system players connect to will help them find a game local to them with low latency. Hopefully down the line some kind folks will sponsor dedicated server hosting for the game

Anyway thanks for the input, any advice or ideas from another perspective are always helpful.
    Last edited by MDZA; 24-09-2012 at 08:00 AM.

I still think its insane, but go for it. Is this a hobby or is it intended to be profitable?

I'm gonna go with direct IP
    Be sure to steer clear of those 384k lines with 128k upload.

The game has cost me $70000 to make.
    It sure as hell is meant to be profitable

I need to make roughly 10000 sales to make my money back. That's working on a $9.99 a copy with my cut being $7 after publisher cut.
    That's why I need to offer the direct IP option, I really can't afford to be spending $100 - $200 a month just for multiplayer servers, with the possibility that may still not be enough processing power.