Thread: AMD 7970 Busted?

Default AMD 7970 Busted?

Hey guys.
    Hope you can help, today I was playing BF3 as usual but when I ended the game my GPU fan flew to 100%

Knowing this couldn't be related to heat because I have the Afterburner OSD in game and I never let it go past 65 I opened Afterburner and saw that the temperature display was gone.... So i opened up CCC Overdrive and It showed temp @ 0 D:

Whats going on? after a reboot, uninstall of drivers and removing the card. It still persists.
    Windows maybe?

ANY input will be helpful

MSI 7970 OC
    Windows 8
    Newest Drivers

Quote Originally Posted by iAmSilvercat View Post
    Hey guys.
    Hope you can help, today I was playing BF3 as usual but when I ended the game my GPU fan flew to 100%

Knowing this couldn't be related to heat because I have the Afterburner OSD in game and I never let it go past 65 I opened Afterburner and saw that the temperature display was gone.... So i opened up CCC Overdrive and It showed temp @ 0 D:

Whats going on? after a reboot, uninstall of drivers and removing the card. It still persists.
    Windows maybe?

ANY input will be helpful

MSI 7970 OC
    Windows 8
    Newest Drivers
    Is it still letting you render 3D? aka play games?

As for the MSI Afterburner/OSD, I don't think it was wise to limit the GPU's fan speed, the temp rises fan stays constant, the GPU going to have a hard time cooling down, mine can hit 100% when my temp hits 100 Celsius but luckily it's only ever got to 70% maximum speed.
    Last edited by Glordit; 24-11-2012 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glordit View Post
    Is it still letting you render 3D? aka play games?

As for the MSI Afterburner/OSD, I don't think it was wise to limit the GPU's fan speed, the temp rises fan stays constant, the GPU going to have a hard time cooling down, mine can hit 100% when my temp hits 100 Celsius but luckily it's only ever got to 70% maximum speed.

Fixed it
    I meant I limit the temp, never let it go past 65 Celcius :P
    Just wiped Windows and it decided to work again :/
    Thanks though

Make doubly sure about this. For all you know it could be your temperature nodes acting up. Never a good thing.
    Please keep all extremities tucked in...

Quote Originally Posted by axon1988 View Post
    Make doubly sure about this. For all you know it could be your temperature nodes acting up. Never a good thing.
    ran an overnight burn in test. temps maxed at 69 (not sexual at all) and it passed with flying colours. Is it safe to say its OK ?

Yeah I bet so. Sounds like it's performing up to par. I'm still running a 285 and the coldest it gets is 77, so you are lucky.

Well not lucky... just have money for newer technology :P
    Please keep all extremities tucked in...