Thread: The Secret World - Now without subscriptions

Default The Secret World - Now without subscriptions

I dont know if you guys ever played The Secret World , its a MMORPG based in our world with 3 factions, Dragon , Illuminati and Templar.
    The game used to be like WoW, you needed to buy 30 day game time.
    Looks like the chaps over at funcom see that the subscription levels are dipping and decided to opt for the model Guild Wars is using, pay for the game and play for free.

Heres the mail I got about it , perhaps some of you might want to try the game out over the lazy summer holidays ?

http://cdn.funcom.com/tsw/crm/bus_mo...ential_en.html
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  20.5 KB

Good move on their part. Originally it was $69.99 to purchase the game plus the monthly subscription, no wonder they chased all the people away.. and apparently the game wasn't that awesome either. They should do away with the 30 Euro entry price and just go free to play and offer in-game purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by MDZA View Post
    Good move on their part. Originally it was $69.99 to purchase the game plus the monthly subscription, no wonder they chased all the people away.. and apparently the game wasn't that awesome either. They should do away with the 30 Euro entry price and just go free to play and offer in-game purchases.
    You must be mad. I didn't pay $69.99 for the 3 copies I bought on release...
    // Previously known as Blind Faith or Pr⊕phet
    // Sign up to Greenman Gaming and get $2 FREE in-store credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr⊕phet View Post
    How do you find the game ? Is it good ? Anything like WoW ? good story and good community or not so much ?

Quote Originally Posted by kerbyross View Post
    How do you find the game ? Is it good ? Anything like WoW ? good story and good community or not so much ?
    Good enough to sub at that time, because... I enjoy the setting, the quest solving, NO MORE ELVES.

I won't lie... it is not for everyone and either you like it or there is a small possibility it might grow on you. GW2 just doesn't give what I want for now, for that I might as well go back to WoW. Rift... well as noted I'm just so tired of that setting and that is the main reason why I'm playing TSW if I play a mmo. Community is a lot of introverts.

I'd be surprised if you find a game with more people that just play to play it, don't party much and go on their own routes. Sadly I suppose this part of what is killing the game and in no small way I'm innocent of this.

...IMHO you might have to think to play this game and not just auto-click. That well throws some people of the wagon. What I really want is a decent modern mmo like kthulu, shadowrun or perhaps vampire the masquerade. We really really need other options apart from magic-elve-orc setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr⊕phet View Post
    Nope, honestly, I'm not sure if it was on pre-order or the game had just been released, but that price tag totally put me off buying the game.

What I paid from TA (definitely not 69usd):

The Secret World (PC DVD-ROM)
    *Internet Connection Required *
    Shipped (Friday 6th of July 2012)
    Return Item
    2 x R 349.00
    R 698.00

Not sure what TA is, but this was the price if you ordered the game directly from the SW website.

There's a GIF for that MetalSoup's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MDZA View Post
    Not sure what TA is, but this was the price if you ordered the game directly from the SW website.
    TAKEALOT.com